15 Tips To Keep You On Track This Holiday Season
The holiday season is here! A time filled with friends and family gatherings, beautiful lights and snow and lots of warm drinks and goodies!
Don't let this holiday season throw you off track. Here are some tips to help keep you on track, while still enjoying the little things that this time of year has to offer!
- Don't arrive to a social event or dinner hungry - make sure that you eat your planned healthy and balanced meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Be mindful of the types and amounts of foods that you're eating each day. Write everything down and keep a food log - this will help keep you focused and accountable!
- Watch your portions! Load up with protein and veggies and keep an eye on those calorie dense/rich foods.
- Bring your own meals and snacks to work. The office and staff room are full of sweet treats and baked goods this time of year. Having your own healthy meals and snacks on hand will help to keep you on track. Do your best to resist the temptation!
- Have a game plan before arriving at your holiday dinner party. If you know that you want to indulge in some stuffing and enjoy dessert, maybe keep the apps, breads and other calorie dense foods to a smaller amount throughout the day. Find the balance that allows you to enjoy a little, while not over indulging.
- Offer to bring an appetizer or something healthy to contribute to the meal. This way you know there will be something available that you can enjoy guilt free.
- Watch your alcohol intake. Not only does it lower your inhibitions, increasing your chance of over indulging, it's also loaded with extra calories. Go for a lower calorie cocktail and alternate with water. You have to enjoy a little!
- If you get some baked goods or treats as a gift, share them and freeze some! Just because they are given to you doesn't mean you have to eat them all :)
- Pick and choose what you want to enjoy - save up for the things that you've really been looking forward to and do your best to resist the rest. Enjoy those favourite holiday treats in moderation.
- Taste your food! Eat slowly and chew your food. Not only will this allow you to enjoy the foods that you're eating more, it will also help with digestion.
- It's ok to say NO Thank You! Just because someone offers you something, doesn't mean that you have to indulge in it. Pick and choose what you want to enjoy. They will understand :)
- Make socializing a priority vs. eating. Move around and chat with people and do your best to not plant yourself next to the food table.
- Make exercise a priority! Hit the gym or get outside for some activity each day - get that metabolism going and burn off some of those holiday calories!
- Drink lots of water! Stay hydrated.
- Don't be too hard on yourself. You have to enjoy a bit throughout the holiday season! it's all about balance and moderation. If you have a bad day, get yourself right back on track the next morning - each day is a new day and a fresh start :) Keep focused on your goals - Don't let one bad day derail and discourage you!
The New Year will be here before you know it! What's your New Year's Resolution?
If you want to make a healthy change in 2020, join Thrive's "New Year, New You" Weight Loss & Wellness Challenge!
Contact Steph for more program details and costs.
Challenge Starts January 6th.
Chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card!
LET'S MAKE 2020 YOUR YEAR!