Tips To Keep You On Track This Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving weekend is fast approaching! A time to gather with friends and family to celebrate all that you are thankful for and to enjoy some delicious food!
Some tips and tricks to be thankful and mindful this Thanksgiving long weekend.
1. Make sure you eat your regular meals through the day. Don’t skip breakfast in order to save your appetite for dinner. You don’t want to show up to your Thanksgiving dinner starving.
2. Drink lots of water throughout the day to keep hydrated.
3. Offer to bring something to the gathering. Bring something healthy and delicious that you and the other guests can enjoy guilt free.
4. If you are hosting Thanksgiving, find some healthy and yummy recipes that you and your guests will enjoy.
5. Go easy on the apps. Focus on healthy light apps vs. the calorie dense/rich apps. Save your calories for the actual meal. Focus on conversation and company vs. the food table.
6. Don’t be afraid to say “No Thank You”. Just because the food is there or offered doesn’t mean you have to eat it.
7. Savour every bite. Eat slowly, chew and enjoy your food and the company. This will not only help you eat less, but it will also help with digestion.
8. Focus on the turkey and other proteins as well as veggies/green salads. Go light on foods that may pack a lot of calories/carbs - stuffing, casseroles, mashed potato, rolls, cranberry sauce, gravy, etc. stuffing/rolls, etc. Don’t avoid them if you want them - enjoy in moderation.
9. Be mindful of your serving sizes and skip going up for seconds. Save these for lunch the next day.
10. Pick and choose what you want to enjoy! If you know there’s a piece of pumpkin pie calling your name, maybe skip the potato or roll with dinner. Don’t deny yourself, everything in moderation!
11. Watch your liquid calories. It’s ok to enjoy a few drinks over the holiday. Just make the best choices possible and be mindful of how much you’re consuming.
12. Make time for exercise each day. Get to the gym for a workout or get outside for a nice walk, hike or bike ride!
13. Be thankful and enjoy your holiday. Know that you will be back on track and into routine once the festivities are over!