7 Ways to Indulge Your Sweet Tooth in a Healthy(ish!) Way!
Whether it’s after a long day, while celebrating a birthday, or just as a weekend treat, sometimes you just want to indulge that sweet tooth.
We’ve all been there before. Your boss has been a nightmare, or you’re out celebrating a friend's birthday, or it's Saturday night and you’re looking for a sweet dessert. Indulging your sweet tooth doesn’t have to send your nutrition or diet completely off track!
Checking the ingredients is always the first step – then you can follow our guide on 7 ways to indulge your sweet tooth in a healthy(ish!) way!
1) Look for items made with real fruit or vegetable purees, rather than artificial flavours (or from concentrate).
2) High fiber content, or items made with whole wheat, will help offset some of the sugar.
Be the office hero with a healthier option dessert tray!
3) Virgin coconut oil, unsalted butter, or olive oil are your best bets for healthier oils!
4) Almond or coconut "milk" products tend to be healthier. If those aren’t an option, look for buttermilk or skim milk over cream – especially in baked goods.
5) Reach for baked – rather than fried – goods!
Apple Cinnamon Popovers from The Healthy Owl!
6) Always check the salt content closely – and try to buy unsalted or low sodium when possible.
7) And of course, try to avoid items with sugar as the first (or primary!) ingredient!
Indulging a sweet tooth can take many forms – but the more natural and whole the ingredients, the better you will feel (and look!) in the long term.
The Healthy Owl offers a variety of plant-based, natural, and whole-food options that will satisfy your sweet tooth and keep your healthy lifestyle on track!
Click HERE to visit their website for more information!