SEO is...wait for it.. Common Sense!
Let's keep this really simple, SEO is not a scary or bad thing.
Search Engines have a goal to MATCH A SEARCH to the BEST RESULT. SEO is the process of making it easier for the search engines to understand what you are trying to be found for. Hence CONTENT OPTIMIZATION FOR SEARCH ENGINES.
There are all kinds of tricks & tips, but in the end, common sense prevails.
If you want to get found for the search term: "tennis elbow", then the search engine needs to know that your content is about "tennis elbow" Once they decide what your content is about, then its time to figure out how it ranks among other content that wants to be found for the term "tennis elbow."
Over the last several years, we have worked with search engines enough to be dangerous and to drive over 35,000,000 visitors to our websites.
Basic SEO Tips For Those New To SEO
HERE A FEW BIG TIPS
1. BE HONEST: This means DO NOT PLASTER the word "tennis elbow" all over the place and write sentences like: I woke up one day with Tennis Elbow and my Tennis Elbow really hurt. Write a genuine article on your subject without filling it with garbage and people (very important) and therefore google, will take you seriously.
When people take your content seriously, they share it. This is HIGHLY regarded by google. The reality is even google suggests that the Key is to shape your content for your users and not search engines.
To us, this is a confirmation of common sense. Just good old fashioned good writing that appeals to people is great advice. Google Quote: "Creating Compelling and useful content will likely influence your website more than any of the other factors of Google SEO"
2. BE ORGANIZED: When you create content follow these steps:
a) Use Google Keyword Tool to see what people are searching for
b) Use Google Analytics to determine other search terms where people have found you
c) Make sure you do NOT over use your Keywords and Tag Words (Same Thing)
d) Ensure your page is easy to share on social media and directly from the site
e) Make sure your PAGE TITLE is the search term you want.
3. ALT TAGS: Alt tags are the titles you can put on images. They can show search engines lots about the content. One suggestion we always have is if you are trying to capture search for a keyword, don't OVER USE the keywords. You can get penalized for it. If you are trying to get search for "Backpacking The Grand Canyon" it's ok if you highlight your helicopter tour or maybe even the Colorado River because these are things that you can find on your Backpacking Trip.
4. DON'T OVER TAG: The reason you don't want to over tag is that it can start to diversify the search engines perception of your content. There is a fine line between accuracy and guidance for key words.
5.WRITE ENOUGH, BUT NOT TOO MUCH: We have seen too much garbage on the Internet. Writing for the sake of writing is just going to cause you grief. We have been found on plenty of pages where our content is NOT overwhelming. Some people suggest more words, but we suggest that it depends on the topic. It's hard to have 300 words on an ice cream flavour.
Click Image and See What you find!
6.INCLUDE LINKS AND IMAGES: Pictures and links that are relevant can add value to your content. If you are discussing a fairly serious issue, it helps from a credibility standpoint to reference other experts. IF your article is on the BEST TROPICAL ISLANDS, it helps that you reference other articles making arguments for their BEST ISLANDS. These references also show you have done some research and are not just firing off OPINIONS.
7. BE PATIENT: Google is not a fly by night operation. They index billions of pages. SO for ANYONE to think day one they create a page and it will be number one in search is not reasonable. It takes months to climb to the top, not days. Becoming an expert in something takes hard work. If you are writing about a topic that you know for the first time, chances are another business has already been doing it for years.
CONCLUSION: TO get found in search and develop a content marketing strategy, consistency will provide you will the best reward. If your content is GOOD and shareable, people will help to validate your content and Google will reward you for this. It ALL STARTS with genuine content.
SEO in 5 Minutes
Here are some good common sense SEO articles:
- 12 Important SEO Tips For Your Website -Jeff Goins
- 13 Actionable SEO Tips you can use today - Siege Media
- 10 Tips For and Awesome and SEO Friendly Blog Post - Yoast
GRAND FINALE - If you read this article, HERE is the best article on SEO.
ACTUALLY - This Article is even Better - It's easier to understand. Sorry GOOG!