Delegation of Controlled Acts in Senior Care
Under Ontario law, certain health care actions (controlled acts) may only be performed by qualified health professionals.
Qualified Health professionals delegated to perform controlled acts include nurses, physical therapists, or doctors. In some circumstances, a PSW may perform some of these acts. Each medical professional is authorized to perform the acts of their profession, but not those of other professions. Which may include diagnosing diseases, setting fractured bones, prescribing drugs, and dental work.
Promyse Home Care is unique in that it has the designation to perform some of these activities.
Under certain circumstances, controlled acts can be delegated to others to ensure the client receives health care when required. If a senior has personal care support in their home, certain acts may require a registered nurse or other health care professional.
Under certain circumstances, the Ontario law allows for a private nurse or personal support worker (PSW) to perform some of these acts.
They might include:
- Administering medication, especially by injection, inhalation or insertion
- Exercises for range of motion, strength, and balance
- Wound and ostomy care
- Catheter care
- Bowel routines and colonic irrigation
- Applying compression stockings
- Using specialized equipment
There are several requirements for delegating controlled acts:
1. The act must be something done on a regular basis, such as insulin injections and using asthma inhalers routinely (not necessarily daily).
2. The client must be in stable condition. (PSW would not be authorized to give insulin injections to a newly diagnosed diabetic whose blood sugar is not yet under control).
3. The expected result of performing the act is known, (PSW can observe the client for any irregular reactions).
4. The PSW must be fully trained to perform the act. Training involves teaching sessions in the client’s home with a nurse case manager and supervising the PSW while they perform the task.
When everyone involved is comfortable, the PSW can work without supervision.
Nurse Case Management
At Promyse, our Nurse Case Managers will meet with you and your loved ones to determine initial needs and supports. Services provided by our Nurse Case Managers are at no additional charge.
We will coordinate the services needed to keep your parent or loved one safe, healthy, and living independently at home. That could be in-home care, companion care, or management of ongoing health concerns.
We are always available to answer questions and meet with you and your loved ones to reassess their care management plan as needed.
If needed, we can be the liaison between healthcare providers, doctors, pharmacists, and family members providing care to your parent or loved one.
The nurse case managers at Promyse Home Care are committed to keeping seniors living safely and independently at home. Contact us today to find out more about our services for your loved ones in Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge.