How can kinesiology tape help relieve headaches and migraines
Do you have headaches and migraines? Use this taping method to ease them naturally and effectively.
If you’ve ever experienced a bad headache or migraine before and have had a hard time relieving it with traditional methods, you’ve come to the right place!
It is estimated that over 2.6 million females in Canada alone experience migraines. Many people use painkillers for short-term relief from migraines but a lot of the time they do not fully relieve the pain and a long-term reliance on painkillers can worsen health problems.
What causes migraines and headaches?
Migraines and headaches can be very severe and caused by numerous things such as: hormonal changes especially in women when estrogen levels change, alcohol consumption, dehydration, increased stress levels, changes in weather, medication usage, environmental changes and changes in diet. Alternatively someone may experience tension headaches which can be triggered by tightened and strained muscles.
Types of Headaches
How can kinesiology tape help?
It was discovered that kinesiology tape can be a highly effective method to treat severe headaches and migraines. Experts believe that using Kinesiology tape can significantly help to reduce headaches by repositioning the muscles that are under stress, providing stability for the neck musculature and improving postural alignment and therefore helping to relieve tension in the neck. Many of the muscles of the neck and of the upper back can be catalysts to influence the frequency or severity of migraines. These muscles include: upper trapezius, levator scapulae, scalenes, sub-occiptal muscles, rhomboids, and paraspinal muscles. Kinesio-tape can be used to inhibit muscles that may be over-active to decrease tension and stress or it can be applied to activate postural muscles that may be weak or over stretched.
Taping For Headaches and Migraines
Additionally, by using Mobility Therapeutic Tape you get the added benefit of analgesic which helps reduce pain, decrease inflammation, and calm tense muscles. Mobility Tape has menthol and borneol built into the adhesive so it provides an icy-hot sensation when applied. Within a few minutes after application you should feel your muscles begin to relax as the analgesic begins to release.
Mobility Therapeutic Tape
How to apply Mobility Tape for headaches and migraines
This method is one of the most successful ways you can apply Mobility Tape for headaches, migraines, or general neck pain. Alternative to this method you can also simply apply a strip of tape around the base of your neck. You will need someone to help you apply this.
How to tape for headaches and migraines
First make sure the area is free of any oils or lotions.
- Cut two strips of tape about 7-10 in long. Round the edges and cut the strip down the middle leaving about an inch of tape uncut at one end.Remove any obstructions from the area like necklaces or bra straps.
- Remove any obstructions from the area like necklaces or bra straps.
- Rip off an anchor at the end of the tape where there is no midline cut. Place that anchor at the base of the neck following the upper fiber trap.You will then tape one of the strips and place it vertically down the back. Apply a slight stretch when you apply but not too much as it will limit head mobility if it is too tight.
- You will then tape one of the strips and place it vertically down the back. Apply a slight stretch when you apply but not too much as it will limit head mobility if it is too tight.
- You will then take the other strip and place it along your shoulder placing it on the Acromioclavicular (AC) joint, aka. The bump on the top of the shoulder.
- Repeat on the other side.
Within 10-15 minutes you should feel the menthol and borneol kick in allowing you to relax and hopefully get back to normal life.
Below is a video showing you this taping method.
Mobility Therapeutic Tape
Have questions? Feel free to message us!