Is Email Marketing Right For My Business?
Email marketing delivers the highest ROI, even in comparison to social media, paid searches and affiliates.
Creating an email marketing campaign is a simple, inexpensive and practical strategy for many businesses. Email marketing is 40% more effective than Facebook or Twitter at acquiring new customers and leads. To get the best results, there are a number of components to consider.
Here are five important components to think about before launching your email marketing campaign.
1. Reach your audience
If you are considering reaching your audience through email marketing, be sure you are capturing a relevant audience, so it’s not a wasted effort. Email marketing delivers the highest ROI, even in comparison to social media, paid searches and affiliates, mainly because you are using direct communication to reach your target audience.
You can reach your most valuable audience through communicating to past and prospecting customers.
Use relevant photos, colours, images and wording in your campaigns in a way that will speak to your target audience.
What Not To Do:
- Make sure your email list is not only within your targeted demographic, but that it also is a group of people that are likely use the Internet and check their emails.
2. Create an effective mailing list
Statistics show that for every $1 spent on email marketing, there is $38 generated. In order to get these kinds of results, you must build up your email list.
Steering your target market to your website or into your store is half the battle, now all you have to do is have them sign up for your newsletter.
You can build your email list in a number of ways:
- Invite your customers and potential customers to opt-in to your mailing list.
- Add a pop-up window on your website asking visitors of your website to sign up for the newsletter.
- You can ask your customers for their email address at the checkout in store.
- Give a special offer to customers who give you their email address. This could include an exclusive email deal for discounts on products, free shipping or a free sample.
- Collect email addresses from web based browsers by enabling online contact or enrolment forms.
What Not To Do:
- Avoid purchasing or renting an email list. The contacts on these lists will not be expecting your emails and will less likely be interested in hearing from you, and may potentially even go out of their way to tarnish your brand. In a case like email marketing, the element of surprise is not a valuable thing.
Once you have your email list, it’s important that you can provide content to this list.
3. Create valuable content
If you have enough content to make each newsletter different and exciting then email marketing is for you. There are several characteristics that make content valuable:
- Subscribers to an exclusive newsletter will find value in reading your emails if they know they are the only ones receiving that particular content. This could include being the first to know about news, getting exclusive offers or invitations to events, or being the only group of people to have access to a certain promotion.
- Your newsletter is a great communication tool to share exciting developments to your business, new products or upcoming events.
- Your newsletters are a great and effective way to promote special offers, deals or coupons that your customer or potential customer should know about.
What Not To Do:
- Avoid making your emails purely transactional sales messages. You’ll want your newsletters to inform your readers, make them feel valued and create a respectable relationship with them. A good way to avoid this is to also include some "on brand" material that isn’t promotional, but is helpful to your reader. For example, a real estate agent might include content that informs their readers with tips on how to spruce up their kitchen with hottest trends for the season.
Establish and maintain a consistent schedule that your readers will be able to expect or look forward to receiving.
- Once your readers sign up for your newsletter, it’s likely because they want to learn more about what you have to offer. Don’t disappoint them! Give them consistent content to be able to grasp the offers, values and voice of your business.
Track the success of your campaign
- By sending out consistent emails to your subscribers, you will be able to accurately measure what is working and what isn’t.
- By being able to analyze the results of your campaign (by number of opens, click through rates and engagement), we will be able to adjust certain elements to improve the engagement of the emails.
What Not To Do:
- There's a happy medium! It is crucial to avoid bombarding your mailing list with too frequent emails, this will lead to most of your readers treating your emails as spam and deleting them right away.
- But if you don’t put out enough, your subscriber may forget who you are and why they signed up for your newsletter and choose to unsubscribe.
Use *|MERGETAGS|* to personalize your emails
- Newsletters can be easily personalized with merge tags, so your emails are specifically addressed to each subscriber. Seeing “Hi [First Name]”, will give your reader the impression that you are speaking directly to them.
- This makes it personal, and will reassure them that your email isn’t spam in their inbox.
Use your emails as a tool to start a dialogue with your customers
- Newsletters are a great way to ask for feedback and engage by responding to your customer base.
- This will allow you to better serve your customers in the future.
What Not To Do:
- Don’t send an email to your list with the wrong name or the incorrect merge tag code visible. To avoid this from happening, send yourself a test email first!
Or, To Avoid Any Pitfalls, Let Us Take Care Of It!
If you can envision all of these things with your business, then an email marketing campaign is likely a great move for your business. Let us show you how we can assist you in gaining subscribers, while increasing your customer reach, engagement and satisfaction through email marketing. Contact us here.
At Mawazo, we help business owners grow their revenue by creating a measurable strategy for their digital marketing and executing it as their marketing team. We acquire leads for your company, engage them with personalized communication, turn them into customers and retain their loyalty.