How to Speed Up Back Injury Recovery
Three simple exercises that can help you avoid back injury or strengthen your back once it’s been injured.
Back injury is often painful and extremely frustrating. There’s a toolbox full of exercises that can help strengthen and prevent back injury. Below is a list of 3 suggested exercises with a brief explanation for execution; for each exercise you may or may not want a mat to lay on.
1. Dead bug
- Lie on back
- Have arms over shouldersKnees above hips in the air
- Knees above hips in the airExtend opposite arm and leg
- Extend opposite arm and leg
- Keep back in neutral position, DO NOT archSlow and controlled
- Slow and controlled
We generally recommend that our clients do two sets of 10 on each side.
2. Side Plank
- Start on one side on the floor
- One arm on the floor, lined up with your shoulder and elbow at a 90 degree angle, other hand on your hip
- Keeping core strong, raise your hip and keep your body in a straight line, no sagging
- Modified, keep knees bent and come upAdvanced, stack heels with knees straight
- Advanced, stack heels with knees straight
- Hold for 20-30 seconds
Ideally this is done 2 to 3 times on each side.
3. Front Plank
- Lie on stomach with elbows underneath shoulders
- Modified, raise trunk while knees remain on the floor
- Advanced, extend legs out straight, raise trunk while keeping body in a straight line hovering above the floor
- Try holding for at least 60 seconds
Repeat this 2 to 3 times.
These exercises are only a few examples of how you can support your back pre and post injury. For further help in designing the right routine for your body CLICK HERE or call 905-332-3800 to make an appointment with us at Mainway Physiotherapy.