Is a Thyroid Imbalance Affecting Your Health?
The symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of thyroid imbalances.
Thyroid conditions affect roughly 200 million people around the world – and these imbalances can have serious effects on your health and quality of life.
Here we break down the symptoms, diagnosis, and natural treatment options for thyroid imbalances.
The symptoms of a thyroid imbalance will vary based on whether it is hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) or hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) – but if you’re experiencing any of the following, you should contact your healthcare provider:
1) Hypothyroidism (including Hasimotos)
2) Hyperthyroidism (including Graves)
3) Unexplained weight changes
4) Dry skin
5) Slow digestion or constipation
7) Temperature changes
If you think you may have a thyroid imbalance, there are a variety of tests available to help diagnose. Dr. Kristin Wootton has a full range of health testing to determine what underlying health issue, or issues, are causing your symptoms. These include:
- Specialized Blood work: complete Thyroid profile (including TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and Thyroid antibodies), Fatigue panel, Inflammatory markers and Nutrient deficiencies (B-12, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin D, etc).
- Cortisol/Adrenal Function Panel: Measuring cortisol can help determine your body’s ability to cope with stress and identify what type of stress management techniques would work best for you.
- Gender-Specific Hormone Panels: Salivary hormone testing can accurately measure the important hormones that play a role in symptoms like PMS, mood swings, memory loss, weight gain, fertility concerns, fatigue, and many more. These include Cortisol, DHEAs, Estradiol (estrogen), Progesterone and Testosterone for women, and Testosterone, Cortisol, DHEAs, and Estradiol (estrogen) for men.
- Food Sensitivity Testing: Sometimes all it takes is avoiding a certain food or food group. Specialized testing can tell you if your fatigue, digestive concerns, headaches and eczema (among others) are a result of a food sensitivity.
Treatment & Management
Treatment & Management
In addition to medicinal treatment for a thyroid imbalance, there are also holistic and natural ways to supplement your treatment protocol. Certain foods can help balance and maintain balance for your thyroid imbalances:
1) Cruciferous vegetables – packed full of nutrients and help balance hormones
2) Brazil nuts – best source of selenium (essential in converting thyroxine to its active form, T3)
3) Sea vegetables – rich in iodine
4) Maca – helps balance hormone secreting hypothalamus and pituitary glands
If you think you might have a thyroid imbalance, contact your healthcare provider. Dr. Kristin Wootton can help address your health concerns with a holistic and natural approach.
Visit Dr. Wootton's FaceBook Page for updates
Call the office (289) 208-5766
Dr. Kristin Wootton, ND