Break the Mold: How to Have a Spore-Free Home

Break the Mold: How to Have a Spore-Free Home

How to notice the bad smell of mold and get rid of it so you live healthier.

Are you afraid you might have the dreaded mold in your house? You are not alone. Many people worry about this troublesome fungus. There are some easy ways to detect signs of mold in house. Mold will infect any home that both retains moisture, and has a warm, dark places. It doesn't just look unattractive. It smells unpleasant, causes unsightly blemishes to your home, and is dangerous to humans and pets in any form. Besides that, if it is allowed to flourish, it can cause cosmetic damage to your home and can greatly lower your property value.

What Types of Mold Exist?

Actually molds can come in many types and colors. The two most common are green and black. It is most likely the temperature of the climate and humidity that determine its hue. The organisms that feed on mold also may play a part in its coloring. Green molds tend to be less dangerous than black, which is a more robust form of mold.

What Health Problems Can Molds Cause?

Although tiny traces of mold won't typically put us in the hospital, all mold spores have the potential to cause health problems, especially over time. Mold spores are particularly dangerous for those suffering from respiratory issues, allergies, or a weakened immune system. there are numerous health issues caused by mold. The symptoms are varied, and can include coughing, headaches, fatigue, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue, stuffy nose, red eyes, itchy skin. Black mold can be especially dangerous if inhaled over an extended period of time.

How can you prevent mold?

First, you must deal with moisture, without which mold cannot survive. Make sure that all wet areas in your house are immediately dried completely. You may have to do a careful search of your home, as mold can grow in the most inconspicuous and unlikely of places. Make sure there are no leaks, no cracks or holes through which rain can seep, and no enclosed places that could house moisture, like basements, old carpets in little-used places, and shower curtains.Look for wet spots on your walls and ceilings. Repair any areas where there has been water damage.

Use mold-resistant products. Regularly monitor the moisture in your home using a moisture meter. If the moisture content is too high, you may need a dehumidifier. Keep air circulating through your home, since stale air is one of the contributors to the cultivation of mold.

How do you remove mold?

The surest way to eliminate mold is to call a reputable mold removal expert. If, however, you would rather remove the mold yourself, there are several natural ways to do it. Bleach, vinegar, borax, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, ammonia and baking soda are some effective anti-mold agents.

Make sure you use gloves, a respirator or mask, and plastic bags to dispose of any mold-infected items. Also, be sure to ventilate the area where you are cleaning.