More Little Facts of River Edge’s Past (More than just the big events)

4.8
More Little Facts of River Edge’s Past (More than just the big events)

Journeys into River Edge

A couple of weeks ago we posted a first Installment of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.

As mentioned at that time, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing, the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.

But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.

So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:

In our first postings of “little histories” we covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1905. This time we pick up from there:

- Combination Borough Hall and Firehouse built at Kinderkamack Road & Lincoln Avenue (1906)

- Cherry Hill changes name to North Hackensack (1906)

- First telephone lines installed (1906)

- First gas pipes laid in streets (1907)

- First telephone placed in the home of Borough Clerk Weston (1908)

- Firehouse for Company 2 built in North Hackensack (1909)

- Land Bought for Roosevelt School (1912)

- Area north of Midland Avenue to Oradell border becomes part of the borough – at that time called Riverside (1913)

- Board of Education passes first teacher salary guideline (1913)

- Referendum to build school at Roosevelt site is defeated (1914)

More “little history” to come in future postings.

In the meantime, if you missed the first installment (1894-1905) we can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey

More Little Facts of River Edge’s Past (More than just the big events)

Photo acknowledgment: First Borough Hall, later used as a Fire House. From: The History of River Edge, 1693-1964, by Sigmund H. Uminski, Hauser Printing Company.

Historical Info. source: Musket Anchior & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976