Lend me an ear.
What is Auricular therapy?
You have probably heard of reflexology which uses acupressure points on the feet or hands. Auricular therapy uses acupuncture points on the ears. In fact there are 225 points located on the Auricle (ear). There are points for all of your bones, internal organs, brain, and various other issues such as, skin conditions, constipation, sciatica, appetite control, allergies, and many more. The ear reflex picture below shows a fairly good representation of the ear reflex points, however not nearly all them.
Ear reflex points
The ear can actually give you an indication of what is out of balance in the body. Any point on the ear that is sensitive to direct focused pressure, or is more electrically active indicates an area that is out of balance. The neuro-chemical pathways on the ear connect into the reflex centres of the brain. These points can be stimulated by various methods such as needles, laser, micro current, magnets, and or even touch.
When these points are stimulated essentially what is going on is that we are activating the brain to balance the part of the body in reference to the points stimulated. We are getting our super computer brain on the problem so to speak, in fact fMRI (functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) has been used to confirm that different reflex areas of the brain are activated when different points on the ear are stimulated.
The earliest recorded use of Auricular points was in the Yellow Emperor's Classic of Internal Medicine, a compilation of acupuncture procedures that were in practice in 500 BC. Within that extensive text there are specific ear points for certain medical disorders. Fast forward today and our modern Auricular system is based on the discoveries in France by Dr. Paul Nogier back in 1952. He noticed a strange scar on some of his patients ear, which he found that they had all been treated for sciatic pain my the same local lay practitioner. This woman had cauterized a specific area of the ear to relieve her clients back pain. This lay practitioner had been trained by her father who had been trained in China. Nogier then started experimentation's by stimulation of the same points with needles and achieved the same results. He then theorized that other parts of the ear could effect other parts of the body. By 1957 he had come up with the working Auricular model that we now reference today. His results were first published by the German acupuncture society and then translated to Chinese. This new Auricular model was in use by 1958 by village doctors in China with incredible success. Since that time Auricular therapy has been fully recognized by the W.H.O with over 10,000 doctors trained in Germany alone, and many many more around the globe.
So what kinds of things can laser be beneficial in helping with you ask?
There are about 160 different health issues that laser can help with.
Here are some of the area groups that laser acupuncture can help with:
(Not a complete list)
- Addictions (smoking, drugs, alcohol, gambling, sexual, opiate, sugar)
- Acute and chronic pain in upper and lower limbs
- Back pain and body aches, including sciatica, Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis
- Head and neck pain including tension and migraine headaches
- Dental pain and analgesia including trigeminal neuralgia
- Neurological disorders including ADD, ADHD, concussion, seizures, MS
- Stress related disorders including CFS, insomnia, shock, jet lag,
- Psychological disorders including anxiety, depression, mania, OCD
- Eyesight disorders including astigmatism, blurred vision, myopia, stye
- hearing disorders including vertigo, tinnitus, earache, impaired hearing
- Nose and throat disorders including rhinitis, laryngitis, sneezing, sore throat
- Skin and hair disorders
- Heart and circulatory disorders
- Lung and respiratory disorders including asthma, bronchitis, cough, hiccups
- Gastrointestinal and digestive issues including diarrhea, constipation, colitis
- kidney and urinary disorders
- Abdominal organ disorders
- Gynecological and menstrual disorders including menopause, PMS, labour induction
- Glandular disorders and sexual dysfunctions
- Illness, inflammation and allergies including colds, flu, fever, shingles
Your ears can be used for much much more than to hear with, in essence they are the remote control for your health.