What is Aromatherapy, and How Does it Work?
Aromatherapy uses naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize, and promote the health of your body, mind, and spirit.
Aromatherapy is an alternative and holistic practice that uses fragrant aromatic essential oils that are derived from a wide variety of healing plants and herbs. These essential oils are used to balance, harmonize, and promote the health of your body, mind, and spirit.
When inhaled or applied to the skin, therapeutic grade essential oils have been shown to help people overcome a variety of health problems, including anxiety, eczema, muscle pain, arthritis, and more, without other medications.
How do essential oils work?
- Plants contain certain beneficial chemicals as a means of protecting themselves, including to ward off insects or rodents, and to defend themselves from bacteria or viruses.
- The active ingredients within the oils are taken directly from high yields of medicinal plants or herbs through a process known as distillation, and then mixed with alcohol to preserve their strength. The finished result is a very concentrated oily formula that can be mixed with other substances.
- Because they are very strong, essential oils used in aromatherapy practices are usually combined with a carrier oil, such as almond, jojoba or coconut oil, before being applied directly to the skin.
Aromatherapy can be performed in several different ways:
- Diffusing a single or combination of essential oils into the air
- Inhaling oils through the nostrils directly off a tissue or from the bottle
- Receiving massage therapy that uses these oils
- Soaking in an oil-infused bath
- Rubbing oils directly onto the skin
Looking for more information on how you can use essential oils? Visit Heaven Scent at their beautiful location in London at 169 Wortley Rd., or call them at (519) 433 – 3434.
Heaven Scent offers a variety of high-grade essential oils that you can use in your own aromatherapy practice!
London’s Holistic Health Experts