Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy
When your on the go with work and kids activities a slow cooker is your friend for ready dinners when you get home.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Gravy!
A complete Sunday meal in one pot. While it takes only minutes to prepare, this tender, juicy chicken & gravy tastes like you’ve been in the kitchen all day.
• 1 small chicken , about 4lbs
• 2 slices onion
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• chicken broth (optional)
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1. Combine all seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry. Brush chicken with olive oil and rub seasoning into chicken.
3. Roll up balls of foil and place in the bottom of the slow cooker with 2 thick slices of onion. Place chicken on foil, breast side up so it is slightly lifted off the bottom of the slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. (165 degrees)
5. Remove chicken and place on a small pan. Broil 3-4 minutes to crisp skin (optional). Rest 10 minutes before slicing.
1. Remove foil and onion from slow cooker and turn onto high. If required, add broth to create about 2 cups of liquid.
2. In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water to create a slurry.
3. Whisk about 2/3 of the cornstarch into the drippings/broth and let cook on high. Depending on the amount of liquid you may need to add more of the cornstarch slurry to reach desired consistency. Let cook at least 5 minutes before serving.
4. Taste and season with salt & pepper.