KD Mac and Cheese or Healthy Cauli Mac and Cheese
I've never given much thought to what was in the packet of orange powder inside the blue box of Kraft Dinner so many of us grew up on.
Turns out, it is mostly milk products and by products like whey and milk protein and cheese culture, milk fat and lactic acid. There is also plenty of salt in there. . Kraft has recently started taking out the more chemical-based ingredients like artificial dyes and flavors so the question remains – do we continue to eat our favourite mac and cheese or look for a healthier option. Now I know many of you will see cauliflower and go – REALLY?
I’m here to share with you that when you try this recipe it will both surprise and delight your taste buds, and your heart and body will thank you big time! It tastes like any great mac and cheese recipe made with pasta and gives so much more in nutrition.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. It is also a very good source of choline, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin.
Give it a try and feel free to send a comment below on the button LET US KNOW
Add a side salad and you have a delightful summer or anytime meal.
Leafy Garden Salad
- 1 head Cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 3 tbsp Butter (divided into 2 tbsp and 1 tbsp)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
1/4 cup Unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. In a large bowl, toss together the cauliflower florets with the melted butter. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Arrange the cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, until crisp-tender.
4. Heat the cheddar cheese, heavy cream, milk, and remaining tablespoon of butter, stirring frequently. (You can do this on the stove in a double broiler, or in the microwave.) Heat until the cheese mixture is smooth. Be careful not to overheat or burn the cheese.
5. Toss cauliflower with cheese sauce right before serving.
Top with a little fresh chives or green onions from the garden or try some bacon.
We look forward to hearing from you at Healthy Tips on whether you give this recipe a hand up or down.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese