Can Diet Prevent Diseases like Cancer & Diabetes
Diet plays an important role in preventing diseases like Cancer & Cardiovascular diseases. Calculate your Diet Index and know what to eat and what to avoid.
Inflammatory diseases like diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular diseases are causing death in huge number in U.S & Canada. 50% of the population in US & Canada are suffering from inflammatory diseases. Dr. James Hébert & Nitin Shivappa has designed a tool to prevent these diseases; called Dietary Inflammation Index-DII. There are foods that causes these diseases and foods that can prevent these diseases.
Types of Food:
1. Anti Inflammatory Foods: Foods that help in preventing inflammatory diseases like Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular diseases. These include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, spices like turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, garlic, onions etc.
Anti Inflammatory Foods
2. Pro Inflammatory Foods: Food that increases the risk of occurence of inflammatory diseases. They are meat, refined grains, full fat dairy products, high calorific foods and many more.
Pro Inflammatory Foods
Preventing Dietary Inflammation
We can prevent the occurence and risk of dietary inflammation by eating right foods. DII, is the right tool to measure our risk. A positive score means higher risk of inflammation disease & a negative score means a lower risk of inflammation disease.
Eating anti-inflammatory foods will decrease the DII score which is good for our health and consuming pro inflammatory foods increases the risk of occurence of inflammatory dieases, giving a positive DII score, which should be avoided.
Are you now thinking how can you calculate this? In this world of technology, everything can be online, so yes, you can calculate your own DII score through DII Screener app available on both IOS & Android.
If you DII Score is high, then you can connect with Connecting Health Innovation- CHI for help. The doctors will calculate your DII on Demand through a questionnaire and will advice you with a customized diet plan.
Diet impacts health
What to EAT & What to AVOID
- Eat foods that are naturally colorful and flavorful are the top list suggested by the doctors to have a low DII Score. Fruits & Vegetables are naturally colorful (due to the presence of their pigments) and are flavorful (containing many flavonoids, phytochemicals) which are very beneficial to the body. They reduce the C-reactive protein which reduces the occurence of diseases like Cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes.
- Drink Masala Tea with Stevia. The masala tea is full of spices like Basil, Cloves, Ginger, Cardamom that is very beneficial to body. It immediately helps if you are suffering from cold and cough.
- Avoid foods that are white in color- they lack pigments and flavors. For examples, many sweets are white in color, they lack flavor, they are just sweet.
- Avoid Sugar free, zero calorie beverages- as they contain nothing but plain water and artificial sweetners.Eat whole grain bread. Whole grain contain a lot of minerals & vitamins which are usually removed in the processing of refined grains.
- Eat whole grain bread. Whole grain contain a lot of minerals & vitamins which are usually removed in the processing of refined grains, hence avoid refined grains.
- Always pick a low fat flavored yogurts over plain full fat yogurts. Flavored yogurt contains flavnoids that bring down the DII Score.
So, don't you think that this is the easiest and by far the cheapest way of helping ourselves to keep away these life endangering diseases. Simple modification in our daily diet can prove beneficial 10x times in near future.
Download the app, check your DII Score and modify your diet according.
The doctors have validated the Western, the Medditerean and the Macrobiotic Diets to learn that the Macrobiotic diet is the most beneficial diet that contains consumption of increased amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, spices, low sugar and low fat diets.
Eat Well! Akansha Dalmia
Lead Nutritional Writer for the Klusster Time for Healthy Eating