Traditional Pea Soup
Fun, Fantastic, and high in Fiber, enjoy this pea soup recipe that is sure to impress.
Whether trying to warm up or looking for the finishing touch to meal this pea soup is sure to hit the spot.
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (15 g) kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) ground black pepper
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 lb. ( 907 g) dried peas parties
- 16 cups (3.75 L) water
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium- high
Add onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
Saute for 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions look translucent. Be sure to periodically stir the mixture with a large wooden spoon to prevent burning ingredients.
Add the carrots, potatoes, 1 1/2 pounds of split peas and water to the large pot.
Mix well with a spoon. Make sure to put aside 1/2 lb remaining peas in a bowl, to add to the soup later. Let the ingredients boil, then cook over low heat, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Add the remaining split peas after 40 minutes and continue cooking all ingredients over low heat for another 40 minutes. Stir frequently with soup spoon so that solids do not burn background.
Try the soup to see if you need to add more salt and pepper, and add seasonings if necessary.
Serve and Enjoy!