7 Effective Ways To Drive More Website Traffic Using Social Media
Social media platforms are a great place to generate web traffic. In fact, 81% of people click through to a business’s website via social media. So, your company must harness the power of these platforms or risk losing out on crucial sales.
You need to make driving traffic to your website a top social media goal because it’s where your customers spend the most time. It offers many opportunities for your target audience to find your brand, learn about your offers, and visit your website to make a purchase.
So, how can you drive more website traffic through social media? Let’s take a look at six practical approaches you can take.
1. Add important web page links to your bios
It’s really easy to forget to update the links in your social media bios, especially when you have accounts on multiple platforms that you need to manage. However, keeping these up to date can help drive quality traffic to your website since they’ll appear at the top of your profiles.
Typically, you’ll want to keep your homepage link in your bios, but there might also be times when you want to promote a specific promotion or product line. So, whenever you create a new post in an effort to market something in particular or lead people to a specific page on your website, ensure your current bio links align with this.
You should also make it a habit to check your social media bios about once a week to ensure all of your links are up to date, functional, and relevant.
2. Promote your knowledge hub content on social media
To stand out among the competition, you need to prove that you have the knowledge required to be a leader in your industry. You should provide value for your website visitors and ideal customers by providing valuable content that acts as a knowledge hub.
Sharing this content on social media will then help you reach a wider audience, inevitably driving more traffic to your website. To get the most out of your social media content promotion strategy, you should:
- Use shortened and branded links on social media to help increase brand awareness.
- Add a link to your social media bios to direct people to your website after they read your social media posts.
- Publish different types of posts on each channel based on what works best to help drive qualified traffic back to your website.
For inspiration, let’s look at a company that does a great job of driving website traffic by sharing its informative content on social media, along with a link.
TruthFinder, a reverse telephone look-up tool, shares valuable website content on its Facebook page that helps readers better understand what its services can be used for.
The company grabs users’ attention with a catchy headline and interesting image, then points the user back to content on its website to learn more. This approach to sharing valuable website content on social media helps ensure it reaches the right audience and drives more qualified traffic to its site to help boost engagement and sales.
You can use the same approach by posting relevant content on your social media profiles to grab the attention of your users and drive them back to your website where they can learn more and buy from you. Just make sure you start off on the right foot by initially creating content that your target audience will actually want to read — then, you’ll find it much easier to attract their attention on social media.
3. Create and share free tools your audience will love
If you can create and share free tools that offer real value for your ideal customers, you’ll drive tons of traffic to your website. You can promote these free tools on social media by talking about exactly how they can help your audience and why people should visit your website to give them a try.
To identify which kinds of tools will most likely appeal to your audience, pinpoint your customers’ pain points and create tools to make their lives easier. You should also aim to give them a taste of what they could experience by investing in your services.
Let’s take a look at a company that does a great job of providing free tools, which it shares on social media to drive more traffic to its website.
Helix Hearing Care, a hearing aid provider, regularly posts information on social media about hearing loss and provides people with the chance to take a free hearing test to learn if they are losing their hearing. This is a great way to drive traffic to their website because their target audience will want to do an easy screening to determine if they need hearing aids.
This type of free but valuable content helps its customers understand whether they have a problem the company can solve and drives qualified traffic back to its website. This will then help to raise more awareness of the brand among its target customers and lead to more sales.
Any free tool you create and share should give your audience a taste of what your products or services can offer them or provide information about a problem they experience. Sharing these on social media with a link will then help to drive more traffic and improve your website’s conversion rate.
4. Use social media to show behind the scenes of your company
Your followers and customers are highly likely to be curious about the inner workings of your business. So, you can drive more traffic to your website by posting snippets of behind-the-scenes content on your social media profiles and including a link to where they can find more.
There are many different ways you can offer your followers a glimpse into how your business operates, including with:
- “Meet the team” content that highlights individual members or departments of your company. This type of content can build a connection with potential customers and show the type of people they will deal with at your company.
- Production process blog posts or videos that show off the quality of your products or services.
- A “day in the life” vlog series that shows the daily life of someone at your company. This can help connect customers with your staff as they see what they work on each day.
For some inspiration, let’s look at a company that uses behind-the-scenes content in its social media posts to drive traffic back to its website.
Harbor Exports, a construction materials exportation company, offers behind-the-scenes content on their Instagram page. These posts show off how their products are shipped and offer photos of finished projects. This shows the user that the company is run by real, trustworthy people. In addition, this type of content can help connect with potential customers who are likely to click through to the company’s website so they can see more case studies or learn more about the business before they buy from it.
You can use the same approach on your social media networks by giving your followers a peek behind the curtain to help build stronger connections with them. Make it a point to introduce a different staff member each week or take some candid photos of your employees hard at work. You could even film videos outlining your production processes and post them across all your social media channels. This is a great way to capture web traffic that can lead to an increase in sales.
5. Provide people with a reason to talk about your company
A great way to get people to check out your website is to give them a reason to talk about your company on their own social media profiles. If you inspire people to shout about your business, it can raise more awareness for your brand, attract more followers, and, of course, drive more traffic to your website.
There are lots of different ways you can give people a reason spread the word about your business, such as by:
- Hosting giveaways and contests where your company offers up a prize to one person who has engaged with you on social media. This can help build awareness of your brand as customers share this opportunity with their network of friends and family.
- Rewarding loyal customers with free gifts that they may then go on to talk about on social media. .
- Encouraging customers to share their shopping experiences with a unique hashtag to grow your online presence.
Let’s look at a company that does a great job of using social media contests to give people a reason to talk about them.
Home of Purdue, a tourism website for Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana launched a photo contest on Instagram that encouraged followers to take a picture at their favorite spot in Greater Lafayette. They tracked entries with a unique hashtag and offered a prize package to the winner. To enter, people were asked to upload a photo to Instagram, tag the company, and share this post with several friends.
Since they prompted users to upload their photos on the company’s website for official entries, Home of Purdue was able to generate a lot of traffic. Plus, another of the entry requirements was to share the company’s post with friends using a branded hashtag. This is sure to have helped raise awareness of the brand, win it more fans, and ultimately drive more website traffic over time.
To funnel visitors from social media to your website, you need to give them a reason to click your link. You can also encourage them to shout about your company by requiring contestants to share the original post with their network with a hashtag and link back to the contest page. This is a great way to drive traffic and offer a fun experience for your customers to build brand loyalty and increase your sales.
6. Make sure your content is optimized for each platform you use
Many companies make the mistake of simply copying and pasting their social media updates to various platforms. However, to drive the most traffic to your website, you need to ensure your posts are tailored to each unique platform you’re sharing them on.
Sure, you can post similar content, but some social media platforms utilize hashtags while others depend more on other factors to help the right people see your posts. Let’s look at how you can optimize your posts for the most popular social media channels.
- Facebook: Post educational videos and articles on Facebook. Don’t worry about hashtags here, but make sure your posts are closely related to the needs of your audience and the information you share positions you as an industry expert.
- Instagram: Focus on sharing high-res photos and videos with the right hashtags — you can use a tool like All Hashtag to help with this.
- Twitter: Share news, blog posts, and GIFs with relevant hashtags. Just remember you only have 280 characters to work with so use hashtags sparingly if you have longer tweets.
- Pinterest: Infographics are great for Pinterest because it’s a very visual platform. Focus on sharing visually appealing content with titles and descriptions that match the title and overview of the blog posts you link to.
- LinkedIn: Company news, professional content, and inspirational posts are great for LinkedIn. You can increase your website traffic from LinkedIn by sharing your content in relevant groups and providing lots of information in each post so people know what to expect if they click through.
Adjust your approach for each account to ensure your content is optimized for that particular platform. This will ensure your ideal customers see your posts and are inspired to visit your website to learn more.
7. Support your customers with their issues
Having done all points mentioned above don't forget about potential issues your customers may face. And social media are great channels to support your audience with them.
Usually, people are more open to communication on social networks and can provide you with many details on your product or service functioning. Besides, the communication is more personal, which helps to end up with satisfied customers despite some problems.
Therefore, do not hesitate to apply the same customer service approaches you use for your contact center in helping your audience via social media channels. Remember the following tips:
- be polite and use person's first name for communication;
- be aware of your product/service;
- be authentic and open;
- be sympathetic to customer's issues.
Once the people see your support, they will want to become your constant customers and even promote your site on their social media for free.
Your social media presence and company website should go hand-in-hand to create a positive user experience that helps you make more sales.
Use these six tips to adjust your social media marketing approach, and soon you’ll see an increase in your web traffic, and your sales will skyrocket as the right people click through to your website to learn more.