Top Foods to Avoid in Thyroid
Hypothyroidism is actually the condition when some essential thyroid hormones are not produced by your thyroid gland.
. This condition is likewise referred to as an underactive thyroid problem. This condition can ruin the metabolism of the body. Consequently, individuals suffering from hypothyroid problems have low metabolism and they tend to become fatty on most occasions.
Here, we have mentioned some food items which one should avoid in thyroid.
1. Dietary supplements consisting of kelp – In case you are residing in the US, there is less chance for you to experience a deficiency in iodine since it is usually included in certain food items such as salt. According to the American Thyroid Association, an excessive amount of iodine can worsen your hypothyroidism. This implies that it will be a good idea to refrain from using dietary supplements which are rich in iodine, particularly those containing the seaweed known as kelp.
2. Cruciferous vegetables – It is a fact that cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, and kale contain a compound known as glucosinolate that might interfere with the functionality of the thyroid gland. Consequently, the experts suggested people avoid consuming these veggies. However, at present, it is advisable for people to limit their intake of cruciferous vegetables rather than avoiding them altogether. This is because these veggies provide us with lots of health benefits as well.
3. Fatty meats – It will be better to skip fatty meats since they are loaded with saturated fat. As per the experts, people struggling with hypothyroidism might be at enhanced risk for cardiac ailments given that there is a relationship between higher levels of lipoprotein cholesterol and hypothyroidism. Instead of fatty meats, try to go for fish or poultry or leaner cuts of beef.
4. Antacids – Antacids usually consist of calcium that might interfere with the intake of hypothyroid medicines. Timing is very important in terms of taking them. Although you need not completely avoid the intake of antacids, you might try to change your typical pattern of consumption. For instance, in case you want to take 2 antacid tablets rich in the content of calcium on the daily basis, make sure to take them at different times of the day when you are not taking your medication.
5. Iron tablets – just like varying the time of your consumption of antacids and thyroid medicines, the same is applicable in the case of iron tablets as well. Moreover, if you are suffering from constipation make sure to consult your doctor since taking iron supplements can worsen your constipation.
It can be somewhat tricky when it comes to managing hypothyroidism, and your diet can interfere with the treatment received by you. Try to avoid the above-mentioned foods in case you are suffering from hypothyroidism.