Little Facts of River Edge’s Past – Part 7
Journeys into River Edge
In recent weeks, we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.
As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing; the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time, but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:
In our prior four postings of “little histories” we have covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1941. This time we pick up from there and focus on the period following the bombing of Pearl Harbor and through the war years:
- Mayor & Council serve as local rationing board (1941)
- Police Reserve Organized (1942)
- Land Subdivisions start to require Borough approval (1942)
- School No. 2 land transferred to Borough to become a park (1942)
- Fire Dept. Auxiliary Squad organized (1942)
- D.P.W. organized (1943)
- Municipal garbage collection begins (1943)
- Zoning Ordinance passed (1943)
- Referendum to approve School Board’s action clarifying the name of Roosevelt School defeated (1944)
- Referendum to buy land for Cherry Hill School approved (1944)
- Veterans Memorial Park opened (1944)
- Permission to keep chickens (granted during the war) rescinded
More “little history” to come in future postings.
In the meantime, if you missed the previous installments (1894-1941) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey
Photo acknowledgment and credit: Call for volunteers; Members of the R.E.F.D. with “Old Betsy”, the first modern ladder truck, which was purchased in 1930 and housed at Company 1 until it was retired from service in 1956 – from River Edge Volunteer Fire Department, 75th Anniversary Publication (1975)
Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976