The Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 5
Journeys into River Edge
In recent weeks, we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.
As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing, the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:
In our prior four postings of “little histories” we have covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1931. This time we pick up from there:
- Public Works program started for unemployment relief during the Great Depression (1932)
- American Legion post organized (1932)
- School Board cuts salary of all personnel ten per cent due to lack of funds (1932)
- School No. 2 Closed (1932)
- Library moved from Borough Hall to Roosevelt School (1933)
- Democratic Club incorporated (1933)
- Sale of alcoholic beverages regulated (1934)
- First Girl Scout troop formed (1934)
- Zoning Board of Adjustment established (1934)
- Republican Club formed (1936)
- V.F.W. post & Ladies Auxiliary organized (1936)
- Route 4 opens (1938)
More “little history” to come in future postings.
In the meantime, if you missed the previous installments (1894-1931) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey
Photo acknowledgement: Kinderkakamck Road & Main Street intersection sometime in the 1930's - from Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976