The Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 4
Journeys into River Edge
Over recent weeks we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.
As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing, the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone.
In our first two postings of “little histories” we covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1919. This time we pick up from there:
- Referendum approved to purchase additional land at Roosevelt School (1926)
- Trolley line from North Hackensack to Hackensack discontinued (1926)
- North Hackensack Republican Club founded (1926)
- First paid policeman appointed (1927)
- Telephone exchange built (1927)
- P.B.A. formed (1928)
- Referendum approved for Roosevelt addition (1929)
- School Board President resigns to become architect for Roosevelt addition – starting a controversy (1929)
- Hackensack excludes River Edge 9th Graders; Junior H.S. is established at Roosevelt (1930)
- Borough name changed from Riverside to River Edge on December 1 (1930)
- State takes some land at School No. 2 for future Route 4 (1931)
- Woman’s Club organized (1931)
- Free Public Library opened by Woman’s Club in Council Room at Borough Hall (1931)
More “little history” to come in future postings.
In the meantime, if you missed the previous three installments (1894-1925) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey
Photo acknowledgment and credit: Last Trolley Ride when Trolley Line to North Hackensack ended in 1926; The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976
Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976