The Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 3
Journeys into River Edge
Recently, we have started to post installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.
As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing, the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:
In our first two postings of “little histories” we covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1919. This time we pick up from there:
- Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church organized (1920)
- Roosevelt School opens (1920)
- First woman elected to public office (Ann C. Thoma to Board of Ed. (1921)
- First zoning ordinance passed; Zoning Committee named (1922)
- Severe shortage of coal during winter (1922)
- Burglaries create a demand for police protection; 26 volunteer to patrol borough; First police commissioner appointed; Auto authorized for first police patrol car (1924)
- Child rescued from abandoned cistern by W.R. Westervelt; fireman & school principal (1925)
- Houses are numbered on many streets (1925)
- Resolution by council to back Hudson River bridge (1925)
- Citizen’s Association Hall modified to provide space for Police Dept. (1925)
More “little history” to come in future postings.
In the meantime, if you missed the previous three installments (1894-1919) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey
Photo acknowledgment and credit: Volunteer Police Department, 1926 , The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976
Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976