Spicy Coconut Soup with Bok Choy and Mushrooms
Looking for a fast and healthy weeknight meal? This recipe for spicy coconut soup takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Of all life’s simple pleasures, a delicious bowl of hot and spicy coconut soup on a cold winter night is one of the most soul-satisfying. If you think making a hearty bowl of soup is an all-day event, you’ll be surprised to find this recipe for spicy coconut soup takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Though our version uses sweet and tender baby bok choy, any green vegetable such as spinach, cabbage or Swiss chard work just as well. Buying ingredients that are fresh and in season is always the best choice. For a complete meal, add cooked, shredded chicken, cooked shrimp or tofu just before serving.
Our Delectable Spicy Coconut Soup
- 1 tablespoon unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger divided in half
- 10 ounces approximately shitake mushrooms cleaned and thinly sliced (substitute cremini if you don’t like shitakes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 5 heads baby bok choy thinly chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- Heat organic extra virgin coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Quickly sauté half the ginger in the heated oil until it becomes fragrant—about 30 seconds. Add sliced mushroom and cook until they are softened. Add the dry spices and stir for a few seconds until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add broth and bring the soup to a boil. Stir in remaining ginger. Place heat on low and add 1/3 cup of the coconut milk. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings. If you like a creamier soup, add the remaining coconut milk. When heated through, remove soup from burner and add bok choy. The bok choy will wilt and “cook” in the hot liquid but will retain its fresh taste.
- You may try also our Leek and Garlic Soup with Coconut Oil.