You may have read somewhere on the Internet that using coconut oil for eyelashes makes them grow fuller and longer. We know not everything on the Internet is true, and here at Coco Treasure Organics, we like to make sure our readers are getting useful information that can help them live happier, healthier lives. So we checked it out! We know coconut oil is miracle from nature, good for heart health, balancing blood sugars, lowering cholesterol, moisturizing skin and making hair shiny and manageable. If it can help grow luxurious eyelashes too, we want to know.
Why Use Coconut Oil?
Aside from being safe to use around your eyes, this oil is perfect for your eyelashes because of a number of reasons.
1. Pure, organic unrefined coconut oil like Coco Treasure Organics Coconut oil is safe to use in and around the eyes. In fact, it’s a natural treatment for pink eye, also known as conjunctivitis. We frequently recommend coconut oil as an eye-make-up remover and are confident in its gentleness. So, if you want to try conditioning your lashes with coconut oil, it’s safe to do so. If a little does get in your eye, don’t worry. Your vision may be blurry for a minute or two—it is oil, after all—but it’s painless and should clear up quickly.
2. A tiny bit of coconut oil brushed onto eyelashes makes them look longer and fuller. The deep conditioning provided by coconut oil makes every little lash gleam, giving the appearance of thicker lashes. If you don’t like wearing mascara and want a natural way to accentuate your eyes, a dab of coconut oil may do the trick. Try it for grooming eyebrows too!
3. In a study comparing mineral oil, sunflower oil and coconut oil, coconut oil was the only one that reduced protein loss in hair. A lack of protein makes hair look dull and damaged. Hair with healthy amounts of protein grows faster and is fuller than hair without. There’s also evidence that the fatty acids in coconut oil protect hair from breakage. If coconut oil is good for the hair on your head, it stands to reason it would also be good for eyelashes.
Verdict: Should You Try Coconut Oil for Eyelashes?
Our advice is, why not? While there are no studies directly linking coconut oil to eyelash growth, there is scientific evidence that coconut oil helps hair grow faster by keeping it healthier. Certainly, it can’t hurt. For best results, we recommend pre-conditioning eyelashes with the same method used for pre-conditioning hair. Gently massage coconut oil into hair (or lashes) and allow it to penetrate for 5 to 20 minutes. Wash hair as usual, but skip the conditioner after shampooing, you won’t need it.
Important Things to Remember
Before you decide to use coconut oil for eyelashes, here are some important things to take into account:
- The new change in your eyelash routine is best implemented before bedtime.
- Make it a habit to wash your face with soap and water before using coconut oil.
- Be sure your hands are clean, too!
- Always remember that a small amount goes a long way.
- While using coconut oil for eyelashes, avoid using other eyelash products.
- As much as possible, do not skip your routine. If you feel like you want to take a break, do it during Summer time. At that time, your skin is naturally oily because of the heat.
- Avoid wearing false eyelashes with an adhesive. They may only trigger allergies or cause irritation to your eyes.
Choosing the Best Coconut Oil for Eyelashes
Not all coconut oils are the same. Though they all contain almost the same nutritional values, it is important that you know how to choose the best variety for your eyelashes. So, how do you choose the right one?
When it comes to coconut oil, you have two primary choices – refined coconut oil and the unrefined coconut oil. While refined coconut oil has already underwent processes, it is still considered an excellent source of fatty acids. Unrefined coconut oil, on the other hand, is often labelled as virgin. It is obtained from the first processing of raw coconut, which means it does not contain any harsh chemicals.
Now, which of the two coconut oil varieties make a a great choice for your eyelashes. Of course, we’d suggest the unrefined coconut oil variety. Because it is all-natural, rest assured your lashes are in good hands.
If you’ve tried coconut oil for eyelashes, let us know your results. We’d love to hear from you.