Top 12 toxic chemicals to avoid in skincare
By the time the average woman leaves her home in the morning, she has been exposed to over 168 toxins. Here are 12 of the dirtiest ingredients!
I always thought the products on the shelves at the local pharmacy, grocery, or department store were safe. Why, would they be allowed, let alone legal if they were harmful to me. It's something most of us living in Canada and the US would take for granted. Right?
Here's the scary part.
The average woman is exposed to 168 toxins in a day. That's roughly only twelve products; according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Most men are exposed to eighty-five such chemicals a day while teens who use seventeen personal care products a day are exposed to even more chemicals. These chemicals found in your day-to-day products are endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, and neurotoxins, which can be linked to cancers and altering hormones which are playing a key role with our reproductive systems.
Below is a list of the top six ingredients you should avoid when purchasing your skincare and beauty products. Next week we will take a look at six more.
1. Benzoyl Peroxide: Often found in acne products. It can damage DNA, therefore, it may promote tumor growth and can be irritating to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract.
2. DEA, MEA, & TEA: Often found in foam products. Contact dermatitis and irritation to the eyes and skin may occur and once absorbed, these ingredients accumulate in the body's organs and brain.
3. Dioxin: Often found in antibacterial ingredients such as triclosan, emulsifiers, and PEGS. It has been linked to cancer, reduced immunity, miscarriages, and nervous system disorders.
4. DMDM Hydantoin & Urea: These ingredients release formaldehyde, which has been linked to joint pain, cancer, skin allergies, headaches, chronic fatigue, and chest pains.
5. FD&C Colour & Pigments: Often contain heavy metal salts that can cause irritation to the skin on contact. When absorbed into the skin, depletion of oxygen can occur.
6. Parabens: Often used as a preservative for deodorants and skincare products. Have been linked to breast cancer tumors, and hormone imbalances in males and females including early puberty.
Go to your bathroom, or if you are at work, look in your purse. Grab your hand cream, your body wash, your face cream. Do you have any of these six ingredients? Share with us what you find.
Check your cupboards... what are the ingredients on your favourite products?
Stay tuned for next week, when we take a look at six more dirty ingredients!