SEO GUIDE: EVERYTHING A BEGINNER NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is out and out the most formidable type of digital marketing.
It has been helping websites to attract traffic ever since the internet first rose on the scene. Whether you want to get eyeballs for a personal blog or business website, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) will do the job quite comprehensively. However, sometimes people fail to realize that SEO is a fast-moving field. So relying on old or run-of-the-mill tactics will not bring you even anywhere close to the expected results. That is where our SEO guide can make a whacking difference. More so, if you are new to the dynamic world of SEO.
The following SEO guide is packed with all the necessary details to give you a fair idea about how SEO operates. In fact, it will empower you to do the SEO on your own.
1. Core SEO Terminology
If you want to make the most of SEO, you must become familiar with its terminology. Here are brief descriptions of some of the basic terms that will save you from scratching your head down the road:
• On-page SEO: It refers to the practice where the optimization of web pages takes place. Unlike the common assumption, on-page SEO is more than embedding a handful of keywords here and there in the content. It also involves modest coding as well.
• Off-page SEO: Off-page SEO includes turns and tricks that are implemented outside of your website. Social media shares, backlinks, and citation building are the factors that heavily influence off-page SEO.
• Black-hat SEO: All the search engines operate under certain policies. Black-hat SEO practices violate these guidelines. Though breaching search engine policies might speed up the ranking process, it won’t help in the long run. If anything, black-hat SEO will eventually turn you into an ideal prospect to receive a penalty from the respective search engine. We strongly recommend you should never engage in this misconduct.
• White-hat SEO: White-hat SEO is 180 degrees different from black-hat SEO. Simply put, it is the legal way to rank your website on the search engine.
• Anchor text: Anchor text is a phrase carrying the link of a website. Search engine algorithms get an idea from the hyperlinked text that what the page is all about.
2. How Search Engines Operate
At its heart, every search engine is primarily based on three pillars; crawling, indexing, and ranking. Getting into the bare bones of these components will help you to figure out how search engines typically work. That way, you will be able to perform SEO far more effectively:
• Crawling: When Google sends bots or spiders to read a website’s content, it is called crawling. This is the first hurdle you will have to clear before being found out by web users.
• Indexing: As soon as the content is crawled, it becomes part of a gigantic library of URLs. It is pertinent to shed light on an important point that your page will only appear in search results it is added into this library.
• Ranking: Ranking is the spot where your page appears in the search results. Google improves your ranking if your content is closest to what a visitor is seeking.
3. Keyword Research
No SEO guide is complete without offering two cents on keyword research. It is a major driving force of SEO. Contrary to the past, keyword research has become easier these days. All thanks to the online tools. It is highly advisable to narrow down your target audience and niche before getting things started.
4. Link Building
Search engines want to ensure the best user experience for visitors. As a result, they make it a point to pull off the most trustworthy websites in the search results. That is where link building rolls into action. Link building entails acquiring backlinks.
Search engines have ceased giving too much weight to lukewarm backlinks. So make sure to get backlinks from authoritative websites.
The Concluding Remarks
We hope that this SEO guide would have sufficiently enlightened you about the overall SEO process. You can keep yourself updated about the latest SEO developments by following our blogs.