Thanksgiving Pet Hazards

4.4
117
Thanksgiving Pet Hazards

Keeping your pet safe this Thanksgiving Holiday.

Thanksgiving Hazards

Many pets are seen over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend and the days following because they've gotten into something they shouldn't have.

FOOD smells soooo good and sometimes their nose gets them into trouble.

Fatty Foods:   Foods like butter, bacon, fatty meat drippings, gravies and meat scraps may seem harmless but can possibly lead to pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can result in your pet vomiting, having diarrhea, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. Some breeds are more prone to it such as Yorkies, miniature Schnauzers and Shelties,  but all dogs  who ingest a large enough quantity of these foods are at risk. Symptoms may not be immediately after they eat such foods and can occur up to 4 days after the exposure.

Dough:  Do you make your own bread or buns?   If your dog ingests raw dough, they are at risk of developing GDV ( Gastric Dilatation Volvulus).  Your dog’s stomach acts like an artificial oven, making the yeast rise.  Carbon dioxide is released causing a distended abdomen and  can be potentially life-threatening.  Yeast and sugar in the unbaked dough are metabolized into alcohol, which can result in secondary alcohol poisoning.    Seek veterinary care immediately!

Turkey Legs & Meat Bones :    You may think you are giving your dog or cat a treat, but you are actually putting them at risk for a possible foreign body obstruction.  Pieces of bones can get stuck in the esophagus and become a choking hazard.  The bones can also get stuck in the stomach or intestines, possibly resulting in a perforation (or rupture) of the intestines.  It's just not worth the risk.

Alcohol :  Prevent access to alcohol.  Accidental ingestion can cause severe coma, slowed respiration, and a life-threateningly low blood sugar in your dog.

Onions/Garlic/Leeks/Chives:    Many foods contain onions, garlic, chives, and leeks.   These plants are all part of the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about 5X as potent as onions. Onion and garlic poisoning happens as a result of oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to hemolyze / rupture) and gastroenteritis (with symptoms of nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea).  Anemia may be seen, and signs include lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse.  Keep in mind onion and garlic poisoning may have a delayed onset.   Clinical signs may not be apparent for several days.

Tips To Prevent Your Pet From Getting Into Trouble

- Don't feed table scraps, give bones, or let your pet lick the plate

-Keep your pet out of the kitchen while you are cooking

-Take the garbage bag with food scraps, bones, meat rope, mesh baggies out to your sealed garbage pail as soon as the meal is over to prevent your pet from becoming sick.

-Make sure guests know not to feed your pet fatty snacks or table scraps.

-If your dog or cat counter surfs, make sure to hide dough or other foods to prevent accidental ingestion.

-Don't let pets around unattended lit candles; prevent burns and fire.

If your pet finds themselves in trouble outside of our regular open hours, be sure to seek veterinary care as soon as possible.   The KW Veterinary clinic is open when we are closed, they can be reached at 519-650-1617 and are located at 405 Maple Grove Rd.

Thanksgiving Pet Hazards