It's the Season for Fresh Produce!
Fruits and Veggies are so readily available this time of year! Make sure to eat more of them!
Summer is full of seasonal fresh produce. Take advantage of the plentiful supplies of fruits and vegetables by including them in all of your meals. Fruits and vegetables offer a variety of nutrients, including vitamins and minerals. They taste their best while in season. Farmer's markets offer a way to purchase local, fresh produce to include in your cooking. Eating by the season is a key aspect to a healthy nutritional plan. Here are some top food suggestions for eating by the season this summer:
1. Avocados: This amazing fruit is very high in healthy oleic acid. This is a monounsaturated fat that helps increase the fat metabolism. It also contains antioxidants that decrease stress and allows for a healthier cellular environment. Avocados are a terrific complement to a vegetable based meal. They are also one of the most excellent things you can add into a raw food eating plan or any eating plan in order to assist you in healthy weight loss.
2. Blueberries: This summer superfood is loaded with antioxidant phytonutrients. These nutrients powerfully neutralize free radical damage to the collagen matrix of cells and tissues. In addition, blueberries have been shown to enhance the effects of Vitamin C. The antioxidant power of blueberries has been shown to be particularly useful in stabilizing brain function and protecting the neural tissue from stress. The riper the berries the more antioxidant power they contain. To assess the ripeness of the berries look at the color. Riper berries are a darker blue.
3. Cucumbers: One of the best foods for your skin, joints and energy levels, cucumbers are loaded with the mineral silica, which is an essential component for healthy connective tissue (muscles, ligaments, cartilage, bone and skin). It is also full of ionic potassium, magnesium and vitamin C which give it a powerful alkalizing effect within the body. Additionally, cucumbers are particularly rich in fluids that hydrate the skin, joints and tissues. The combination of alkalizing elements, electrolytes and fluids make it one of the world's best foods for enhancing energy levels. Cucumbers are also great for stabilizing blood pressure and stimulating the body's natural detoxification process.
4. Strawberries: Strawberries have higher levels of vitamin C, fiber, folate and potassium than most other fruits like bananas, apples and even oranges. Eating one serving (about 8-10 strawberries) a day can significantly decrease blood pressure, which may reduce the risk of heart disease. Additional benefits include: reducing the risk of cancer, enhancing memory function, and relieving rheumatoid arthritis.
5. Pineapple: Fresh pineapple is a storehouse for many health promoting compounds, minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health. Pineapples are low in calories, providing only 50 cal per 100g. They also contain no saturated fats or cholesterol and are a rich source of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Fresh pineapple is an excellent source of protein which the body requires for maintaining the integrity of blood vessels, skin, organs and bones.
Explore your local farmer's market to discover other fresh fruits and vegetables that you can incorporate into your everyday eating to maintain good health and energy levels throughout the summer.
Check out our blog posts here for other helpful tips. Do you have a question? We would love to hear from you. Please click on the "Talk to Us" button below and ask away!