How to Use a Hair Dryer Diffuser
Do you have curly, wavy, or straight hair? A hair dryer diffuser is a beauty essential. In this article, we'll teach you how to use a hair dryer diffuser.
People with dry, frizzy, and undefined curls would often steer clear of blow-dryers since they fear that they may only make those tresses more unmanageable. However, that does not suggest that they can’t do anything to their manes. There is a solution the problem. In fact, it’s going to be the new BFF of curly-haired gals: a hair dryer diffuser.
So, what is a hair dryer diffuser? How do you use it? Read on to know more.
What is a Hair Dryer Diffuser?
A hair dryer diffuser is basically an attachment to a blow-dryer. It works by diffusing the air that comes out from the blow dryer with a goal to reduce the impact of air on your hair by spreading it evenly through the strands. Since it disperses air without bothering the natural patterns of the waves nor cause frizz while drying, it is mainly used with curly hair.
Although girls with short hair can use a hair dryer diffuser, those with curly hair can reap more benefits. Knowing that curly hair is difficult to tame and style, using a hair dryer diffuser can really make a difference as it does not make twists come apart. It does not even make it look fluffy. It just releases a consistent airflow that helps the hair to dry the natural way.
The Different Types of Hair Dryer Diffuser
There are three common types of hair dryer diffuser. These are:
1. Mitt or Sock
The mitt/sock diffuser type is made of a heat resistant mesh. It is very compatible with almost all sorts of round brush hair dryers.
2. Flat Vented
The flat vented diffuser type is widely used to close the cuticles and seal in moisture while the hair is being dried. This is best used when hair is newly treated or colored to retain the color.
3. Finger or Massaging
Also called the volumizing diffuser, the finger or massaging hair dryer diffuser is the most common type and is normally used to add volume to the hair.
The Perks of Using a Hair Dryer Diffuser
You might be wondering whether a hair dryer diffuser really makes a difference to your hair. Well, here’s what you should know.
When used correctly, a hair care diffuser can help define the waves and tame the curls of your hair while keeping it free from frizz. It also adds volume and body to wavy hair.
While it can be time-consuming to use, it’s a handy hair care tool to have.
How to Use a Hair Dryer Diffuser for Curly Hair
So, how do you use a hair dryer diffuser to define those curls? Follow the steps below:
1. Apply conditioner.
Before you style your hair with a hair dryer diffuser, you need to wash your hair first. Use your favorite shampoo and conditioner to wash it. By doing that, you will just minimize the frizz. You will also keep your hair feeling delicate and moisturized.
To define those perfect and sassy curls, we highly recommend the use of Osensia’s O So Curly Conditioner. It is infused with natural hydrating extracts and oils, making it safe for everyday use.
2. Get rid of those excess water.
When drying up your hair, do not rub it. Instead, use your towel-covered hand to squeeze out the excess water. If you do that, your curls will look gorgeous and bounce. Rubbing your hair will only make your hair shaft rough and leave your strands dull when they dry.
3. Apply hair styling products.
At this point, you may now apply your favorite hair styling products. Take a dab of your favorite hair styling cream and massage it to your strands using your fingers. Then, from the top of your scalp, rake your strands to the ends.
4. Get your hair dryer diffuser ready.
Most hair dryers sold nowadays already come with a hair dryer diffuser attachment. However, if your hair dryer does not have one, you can buy it separately. Just make sure that the diffuser is compatible with your hair dryer. Otherwise, it will fall off. To make shopping for a diffuser easier, you can check out this Professional Hair Dryer Diffuser from Osensia.
If you already have a diffuser, put it to the end of the blow dryer. Next, set the dryer to low or medium. If your hair is curly, you can opt for the cool or medium setting. Too much heat will only create frizz and you want to avoid that, right?
5. Position your hair into the diffuser to retain those natural waves.
Position your hair into the diffuser and turn on the hair dryer so that the diffuser begins to blow heat to your hair. Curl and cup it around your strands and push it with your fingers to add shape to them. You need not use combs or brushes.
Hold the hair dryer diffuser in place for a couple of seconds. As much as possible, do not move the hair section you are holding until it is dry. Once it’s dry, move to another hair section. If you want, you can also move the diffuser in a circular motion while getting a section of hair to quicken the drying time.
6. Add volume to your hair by using the diffuser nubs.
To create an illusion of more volume, you can use the diffuser right at your crown. You might also want to check if your diffuser has a nub that you can use to add height to your strands and to massage your scalp.
7. Continue the use of the diffuser until your hair is almost dry.
You need not completely dry your hair with a hair dryer diffuser. Let the rest dry naturally to moisturize them and encourage volume. Once your hair is 80-90% dry, you may stop diffusing.
8. Apply a curl or wave-preserving hair serum.
The last step is to use a hair product like a mousse to ensure your hair style lasts longer. Make sure you apply it in a scrunching motion.
In addition, check the product instructions. There are products that advise you to apply at the roots in order to keep your hair from looking greasy.
How to Use a Hair Dryer Diffuser for Straight Hair
If you have straight hair, but you want it to look wavy, you can still use a hair dryer diffuser. If you use it, you will surely be amazed and happy seeing the natural waves that a diffuser creates.
Follow the steps below on how to use a hair dryer diffuser to create natural waves for straight hair:
- Wash and condition your hair with your favorite hair care products. Gently dry it with a towel.
- Once your hair has dried up, apply hair mousse so you can easily make your straight hair wavy.
- Now, use the hair dryer diffuser to create waves. You can do this by using your fingers to massage from the roots to the ends. Keep using the hair dryer diffuser all around until you create flowing waves.
- Use a hair spray to ensure your hair style stays in place all through the day.
How to Use a Hair Dryer Diffuser on Short Hair
When using a hair dryer diffuser, length is not an issue. As long as you have hair, be it long or short, you can use a hair dryer diffuser for hair styling. Just use it as you would.
Added Tips on Using a Hair Dryer Diffuser
To reap more benefits from a hair dryer diffuser, check out these additional tips:
- Be sure you set the hair dryer on low or medium heat. Avoid using it on high heat to keep the device from overheating.
- While your hair is drying, avoid touching your hair excessively.
- The heat might be harsh on your hair. Hence, it would be great if you can use other hair care products after diffusing.
- Make sure the diffuser is compatible with your hair dryer to prevent causing damages to your hair and the hair dryer itself.
- You can use duckbill clips to add more volume near your scalp.
- Use the right hair dryer diffuser based on your needs. For instance, if you are the type of person who is always on-the-go, you may invest in the mitt/sock type of hair dryer diffuser.
- After diffusing, avoid using a brush or comb. It will only cause your hair to become frizzy.
- Keep using your diffuser in a constant movement. Do not leave it on one section for a long time or do not repeat on one section again and again.
Using a hair dryer diffuser will indeed require patience from you, especially that the process can be sometimes tricky. Nevertheless, when done correctly, your hair should end up looking beautiful and shiny. As the old adage goes, practice makes perfect. As you use the diffuser regularly, you’ll be able to discover tricks on how to take advantage of it.
Did we miss out some important things to consider when using a hair dryer diffuser? Let us know!