What Is Digital Signage?
Digital signage is the future—video walls, tablets, kiosks, and touch screen menus.
Signs are not like they used to be. Signs have been digitized to mix in with the modern world, becoming more than something that just announces the existence of your business. Digital signage is the future—video walls, tablets, kiosks, and touch screen menus. If you are ready to give your business a digital boost and welcome tomorrow now, then you should consider digital signage.
Here’s everything you need to know.
Digital signage is not to be confused with conventional signage that is a single item with one purpose: to show off your business from a stationary point, such as by a road, or above the entrance door to your main office building. Instead of having one job, digital signage can tackle multiple objectives at once, because it has the ability to display multimedia content, like images, video, social media, websites, animated text, and so on.
Digital signs are powered with technologies like LED, LCD, and projection mapping. You will see digital signage around transportation systems, retail stores, hotels, museums, stadiums, airports, corporate buildings, and public spaces to provide a mixture of navigation, marketing, and other information to those who see and interact with the technology.
What Kind of Content Can Be Displayed on Digital Signs?
Whatever you want to display to your customers can be shown on a digital display system. Digital signage has a variety of hardware and software that enables you to customize the message your customers see. For example, you can add date and time, scrolling messages, images, video, animations, web pages, RSS feeds, countdown timers, and localized weather and news updates.
The functionality of the digital signage depends on you and the needs of your business. The layout can be customized to your exact specifications. You can also choose hardware and software to fit your budget.
What Are The Benefits of Digital Signage?
Digital signs can be used to your advantage to help you achieve your business goals. Here’s how:
- Boosted revenue – digital signage has been found to boost revenue by increasing basket size, prompting impulse purchases, prolonging visitation time, helping foster new relationships, and encouraging customers to return.
- Combined sales and marketing strategies – buy merging point-of-sale systems with an eye-catching sign, you can increase both brand recognition and enhance services for customers in a single step.
- Monetization – digital signage is a marketing channel that can transform a spot on a wall into a dynamic and profitable advertisement point.
- Eco-friendly – digital displays are much more environmentally-friendly because they reduce the dependency on brochures, pamphlets, magazine ads, and other printed displays.
- Collaboration with partners – merchants, businesses, and other partnerships can be fostered by opening up the digital sign as a place of collaboration and teamwork.
- Visitor engagement – not only does digital signage work to influence purchases, it can be strategically placed to reduce the perceived wait times in queues and make visitors more receptive to your advertising.
What Hardware and Software Do I Need For Digital Signage?
To keep it simple, here’s the main components of a digital sign:
- The screen or display panel
- A digital signage media player
- Internet connection
- Desktop or web application
- HDMI cable
Every sign company that sells digital signage will use unique software that helps you control the digital signage player. Some of these programs can be used on the desktop of your computer while others might be cloud-based. One of the disadvantages of a desktop application is that you can only control the display from that one computer, so if something happens to that system, you won’t be able to do anything with the digital signage (and it could be disrupted). Web-based or cloud-based applications are much more flexible and don’t tie you down to a single PC.
There are dozens of digital signage solutions available for every industry. Don’t miss the opportunity to optimize your marketing and point-of-sale efforts. Digital signage can do wonders for your business, regardless of what services or products that you offer.
Ready for more information about digital signage? Want to request a quote? Fill out the contact form!