Overfed & Undernourished - Part 3
Let's have a look at some of the things we can do to help combat being Overfed, Undernourished, Stressed Out & Toxic.
We live in a toxic environment
As I mentioned in the last two articles, even if we could buy and use all organic everything, and live off the grid totally, which is pretty well impossible for most people these days, we are going to be exposed to toxins daily.
Everything from the foods we eat, the products and devices we use, the air we breathe, the water we drink and the stress we endure. It all exposes us to some level of toxins, and no matter how hard we try to avoid them, they are all around us.
While we can’t completely avoid it all, we can make things better by:
- being more aware;
- knowing where your food and products are coming from;
- buying local and/or organic;
- decreasing our stress; and,
- cleansing/rebooting our bodies regularly.
These are just a few of the things we can do, let's look in depth at a few more.
Taking the first steps
1. Set goals - What are you trying to achieve in working towards a healthier lifestyle? Weight loss, increased energy, a decrease in illness or symptoms. Remember to be SMART about your goal setting. Then create a plan, this will allow you to put into action how you will achieve these goals.
Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to implement it all at once though, set a timeline for each action and when you would like to achieve it, try one new thing a week, then once you have added it to your routine, head onto the next.
Positive and permanent lifestyle changes don’t happen all at once, it will take time. Remember and remind yourself constantly that you are human, you will make mistakes and have set backs…we all do, but learn from them and continue to move forward.
2. Decrease your Stress - Next to nutrition I believe that one of the biggest factors affecting the ill health of our society is stress. It can do so much damage to the body not only mentally, but physically. So how do we begin to slow down our fast paced lives, and decrease the stress in our lives?
Each one of us is different but there are certain things we can all do to help:
- make a list of where all you stress is coming from;
- then make another list of how you can change it to make it better...remember small steps.
Then you can begin putting a plan into action. For example, you may hate your job, but be more specific, why do you hate it, make a sub list. What can you do to change it? Ask for more money, ask to work different hours, or with different people, maybe you can work from home one or two days a week. It can’t hurt to ask. If there is nothing you can do to change anything, then maybe you need to start planning for your next job. Whatever the problem is, or wherever the stress comes from, there is a solution. It may not be one you want to implement or you think is impossible, but you need to start somewhere.
Once you have begun to make some changes, the stress will not magically disappear, life has stress, that is normal, but you now need to think about techniques and things you can to do release that stress. It could be a hobby (e.g. reading or building models), exercise, meditation, travelling, whatever is going to bring you to a place of calm, get your mind off the stress and do good things for your body and your mind.
DON'T FORGET TO DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR YOU! Take time every day, whether it’s 5 minutes or an hour, take the time to focus on you every day, to check in and reevaluate where you’re at, how you’re feeling and make any changes or tweaks that need to be made.
3. Don't cut it all out at once - The first mistake most of us make is by trying to cut out everything that we think is bad all at once…no sugar, no carbs, no fat, no caffeine and then we try to exist at the same level as before and wonder why we fail a few days or weeks later. As part of your goal setting, commit to removing one bad habit or item at a time, get used to it and then move onto the next once you feel ready. By reading my #1 Secret to Effective Weight Loss, That May Just Save Your Life, you'll get a better understanding of where to start.
4. Stay Educated - Do your research, learn about the products you are using, the food you are consuming and how stress affects you. With everything literally at our finger tips, there is no excuse not to be able to stay informed.
Learning about things like common product toxins, GMO's and organic produce, can make all the difference when it comes to eating well and not poisoning your body.
GMO = genetically modified organism, where a genome has been altered to contain genes that would not normally be found in its DNA. So the most widespread GMO is found in seeds that are altered to resist the pesticides and herbicides sprayed on them that kills the bugs. This was done to yield bigger, and supposedly “healthier” resistant crops. But what is really does is kills the insect that are trying to penetrate it by literally exploding their insides, yet it is safe for human consumption??? I’m not here to discuss how I feel about this topic, because that is a seminar all on its own, so I’ll let you decide what you think about this and do your own research.
Organic = organic produce are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones, or are fed crops that include the above ingredients. These are products that are made or grown without harmful chemicals.
I know that sometimes this can all be a bit overwhelming, not knowing where to look or what to believe, which brings me to my next and final point.
5. Get Help! - Find someone that you trust, someone that you like, someone that falls in line with your values and your beliefs. Use them to guide you along this journey and enlist some friends or family to join you, so that you can build a support group around you that will encourage you to make the right choices, rather than mock you for making healthier changes.
The key to not becoming Overfed, Undernourished Stressed Out & Toxic is to become Educated, Empowered and Inspired to take your health and wellness back into your own hands, get in control and feel great about the informed choices you are making.
As I mentioned above if you are looking for a place to start then download my FREE E-guide #1 Secret to Effective Weight Loss, That May Just Save Your Life, and start making positive lifestyle changes today.