Let It Heal Tip # 4 on Bedwetting
Bedwetting is a common condition in young children and can have an effect on their self esteem if not dealt with in a proactive way.
Ask the Expert
Amber Korobkina, BSc, CBHT, Bowen Instructor, Let It Heal
1. Be nice! Bedwetting is a physical problem that can have a significant impact on your child’s self esteem. As frustrating as it may be to change sheets at 3 am, it is important not to chastise your child. They need moral support, acceptance and love.
2. Increase Alkaline foods – An important factor in correcting bedwetting, from a holistic point of view is diet. Aim for a ratio of 80% alkaline to 20% acid foods. FREE Acid/Alkaline Food Chart Switching to an 80/20 diet is not only extremely helpful in resolving bedwetting, your child’s health will benefit in other ways too.
3. No more apple juice! The malic acid content in apple juice seems to interfere with the body’s equilibrium. Cut it out completely and replace it with more alkaline choices.
4. Involve your child in the solution. Not as a punishment, but to allow them to feel empowered. Depending on the age of your child, levels of involvement can range from changing their own pull-ups to stripping the bed and putting a load of laundry on.
5. Be realistic – Children under the age of 4 cannot be expected to stay dry through the night. A child would need to be at least 4 years old to be considered a ‘bedwetter’.
6. Don’t leave it too long – If your child is 6 or older, and is still a regular bedwetter, this is when it can start to affect his self esteem. Missing camp and sleepovers can take its toll over the years. Some children as old as 18 have reported bedwetting problems – waiting too long means additional damage to your child’s self worth.
7. Don’t make the bedwetting problem a “taboo” subject. Obviously, you shouldn’t spread it around their school, but at home it can be talked about freely so that your child knows there is no need to feel shameful about it.
Bowen Therapy for Bedwetting
8. Commit to a series of Bowen Treatments and get to the root of the problem. the technique is very gentle and only a few treatments are generally required with success rates in the high 80’s. By making a gentle manipulation to the coccyx, or tailbone, the Bowen treatment can completely resolve bedwetting within weeks. For more information visit LET IT HEAL
Amber Korobkina, BSc, CBHT, Bowen Instructor.