Asparagus, Tomato & Feta Salad
Here’s one of my all-time favorite spring salads!
When creating this I was skeptical that it would be anything “wow!” worthy because there really isn’t a whole lot to it, it’s easy to make and it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients but sometimes the simpler things are some of the best, it was “wow!” worthy and then some.
The Balsamic Vinaigrette
When you add balsamic vinegar to anything you pretty much know from the get-go that it’s going to be good, right? I love when I can make something healthy that I’m so excited about! Good for your body and good for your taste buds.
• 6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tsp dijon mustard
• 2 tsp honey
• 1 clove garlic , minced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, remaining diced into 2-inch pieces
• 1 (10.5 oz) pkg. grape tomatoes, halved
• 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
• 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (scant 1 cup)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile prepare vinaigrette - add vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat and allow to boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
2. Pour into a jar or bowl, add olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic and whisk to blend while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Add asparagus to boiling water and allow to boil until tender crisp, about 4 - 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile fill a medium mixing bowl with ice and cold water. Drain and immediately transfer asparagus to ice water, let rest about 10 seconds then drain asparagus well.
5. Transfer to a bowl with tomatoes and walnuts. Drizzle vinaigrette over top and toss lightly.
6. Sprinkle over half of the feta then plate and top with remaining feta (just so the feta doesn't brown from tossing with all the dressing).
We would love to hear from you when you try this delicious salad!