Top 5 Things to Do in Albarracin, Spain
Albarracin is a town in Spain that lies on one of the meanders of the Guadalaviar River.
The mountain range of Sierra de Albarracin rises to the west and south of this town. It is an amazing Spanish town. The top 5 things to do in Albarracin would be to-
1. Catedral del Salvador- This Cathedral in Albarracin was built in the 16th century and renovated in the 18th century. The original architecture of the cathedral which reflected the Gothic and Renaissance times had been removed to reflect the baroque architecture during the renovation. The guides on this tour talk about the history of the place and even take you on a walk in the village. Inside the cathedral, there is an altarpiece from the 16th century dedicated to the life of St. Peter. There are some beautiful frescoes inside the cathedral too.
2. A visit to the Andador Tower- The highest point of Albarracin is called the Andador Tower or Torre del Andador in Spanish. It was established in the 10th century as an outpost of defense for the Muslim town situated around the castle. As the town grew, walls climbing up to the castle were built in the next century. If you do climb to the top, you will be undoubtedly wowed by the stunning view and the unique topography.
3. Museo de Albarracin- This is a museum in Albarracin that mainly uses Spanish to explain the details of the history of Albarracin. The castle and the archaeological discoveries from the castle are included in the displays of the museum as they contribute a large part of Albarracin’s history. Opposite to the museum’s entrance in the place of Albarracin’s synagogue, the Ermita de San Juan was built in the 17th century.
4. Museo Diocesano- This is another museum inside the Episcopal Palace and it is reached by a walk through the cathedral's cloister. This museum houses a collection of old religious art including sculptures, metalwork, painting, musical instruments from the 14th through 18th centuries. Tourists are also allowed to enter the private rooms of the Bishop of Albarracin.
5. Pinturas rupestres Albarracin- This is an interesting walking tour from Albarracin that will surely boost up the adrenaline rush in your body. A half-day walk will take you to the prehistoric rock paintings. You will come across a river, and a pine forest as the valley gradually becomes narrower and wilder.