What is Sciatica?
Are you suffering pain when getting out of bed, standing or walking? Does sitting send pain through your lower back and legs? You may have Sciatica.
Sciatica is a term used to describe nerve pain in the leg that is caused by irritation and/or compression of the sciatic nerve. Sciatica originates in the lower back, radiates deep into the buttock, and travels down the leg. If a herniated disc compresses the sciatic nerve, it causes the nerve to swell and pain shoots through the lower body.
Sciatica is often characterized by one or more of the following features:
- Pain. Sciatica pain is typically felt like a constant burning sensation or a shooting pain starting in the lower back or buttock and radiating down the front or back of the thigh and leg and/or feet.
- Numbness. Sciatica pain may be accompanied by numbness in the back of the leg. Sometimes, tingling and/or weakness may also be present.
- One-sided symptoms. Sciatica typically affects one leg. The condition often results in a feeling of heaviness in the affected leg.1 Rarely, both legs may be affected together.
- Posture induced symptoms. Sciatica symptoms may feel worse while sitting, trying to stand up, bending the spine forward, twisting the spine, lying down, and/or while coughing. The symptoms may be relieved by walking or applying a heat pack over the rear pelvic region.
Common medical conditions that may cause sciatica include:
- A herniated lumbar disc - A herniated disc occurs when the gel-like center of a disc ruptures through a weak area in the tough outer wall, similar to the filling being squeezed out of a jelly doughnut
- Lumbar spinal stenosis - Lumbar spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal, compressing the nerves traveling through the lower back into the legs.
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease, general degenerative changes in vertebrae or discs
- Spondylolisthesis - occurs when one of your vertebrae, the bones of your spine, slips out of place onto the vertebra below it.
- Muscle spasm and/or inflammation of the lumbar and/or pelvic muscles
Relief of Symptoms through chiropractic adjustments.
Chiropractic adjustments are designed to provide pain relief in the nervous system and improve day to day activity. These adjustments are especially beneficial for providing back pain relief, pain from sciatica and managing chronic pain caused by herniated discs or other spinal abnormalities.
Parkway Back and Foot Clinic is the Leading Pain Management Clinic in Stoney Creek.
Fill out the form attached to book an assessment or call (905) 662-9835