Chiropodist treating Bunions
The stress on the big toe joint with marked redness can cause pain and may develop a Bunion. Wearing the right shoes can help!
WHAT IS A BUNION?
The joint in the big toe can swell and cause pain, usually induced by wearing tight shoes or having a flat foot.
Bunions are usually developed in the youth and children who are actively involved in sports particularly skating or hockey. The stress is caused on the joint, which causes it to bulge and become red. The big toe joint rubs to the skate or tight shoes causing stress.
Like the muscle, the bones undergo stress too!
Bunion: Redness & Corn development
The other side of the toe which rests on the shoe, the metatarsal arch collapse and causing the big toe joint to swell.
LONG-TERM DAMAGE BUNIONS
If left untreated, a bunion can cause arthritis, especially if the joint in the big toe has sustained extensive, long-term damage. Bunions may cause the cartilage in the joint to deteriorate. Extreme cases may even require surgery to help alleviate unbearable pain caused by the inflammation. Read more....
If you have a family history of bunions,then you are likely to suffer from bunion too!
What can you do about it?
- Wear appropriate shoe, do not wear tight shoes that is uncomfortable.
- Wear low heel shoes if you are going to walk for a longer distance.
- Stilettos should be worn only for a few hours, if not the may cause discomfort to the lower back & fore foot.
Don't wear Stilettos for a long period of time
- Wear orthotics in your shoes which are inserted in your shoe to provide better support and comfort for bunions.
Wearing wider & comfortable shoes do not allow the stress to develop around the bone & that is how you can prevent bunion development.
- As soon as you see your metatarsal arch collapsing or swelling of the big toe joint, rub ice around that area for 15-20 minutes to release the stress.
A chiropodist can help you choose a comfortable and wider shoe that will not the bunions grow any further. Do not ignore when your child repeatedly complains of pain after removing his shoe, it can cause permanent damage to the child's foot.