How To Improve Your Health & Wellbeing While Working Remotely
Working from home has its benefits and also harbours its challenges. Here are some tips and tricks to help you enhance your wellbeing and productivity!
There have been a lot of changes in the workplace over the past few months with the pandemic. Some of us haven’t been able to work while others have continued on with their regular day with new precautions and protocols. For those of us who have been lucky enough to continue working from home, it’s important that you find the balance that works for you and to always keep your health and wellbeing in mind.
CREATE A HAPPY WORKPLACE
- Make sure your workspace is separate from you living space - create boundaries
- Find a space near a window to allow natural light and fresh air
- Purify with a plant and invest in a light therapy lamp
- Include pictures of loved ones, artwork and other things that are calming
- Set daily and weekly goals - plan, schedule and prioritize your tasks (use planner or optimize your smartphone calendar)
- Be aware and take control of your mood/thoughts; stay positive and focused
- Take a time out - do something you enjoy (read, exercise, cook, puzzles, etc.)
- Try a mindfulness app or take a yoga break
- Try deep breathing exercises (breathe in for 4 seconds out for 8, repeat)
- Relax and focus on you!
- Schedule your workouts and set a fitness goal; put them in your calendar
- Get up every hour and stretch or move around (set a timer)
- Get outside once a day for a walk and get some fresh air
- Go to the gym or do a workout at home
- Aim for at least 30 - 60 minutes of physical activity every day
EAT HEALTHY FOOD
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet - this will give your body and your mind the nutrients and fuel that it needs
- Focus on whole grains, lean protein, fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, legumes and healthy fats
- Plan your meals. have groceries in the house and have healthy snacks ready to go
- Be mindful of your serving sizes and take a break away from your desk to eat
DRINK LOTS OF WATER
- Water helps flush our systems of waste products and toxins - dehydration can cause tiredness, low energy, headaches and reduced focus
- Aim for 8-10 glasses of purified water per day
- Have a water bottle at your desk and track your intake
REST AND REFRESH
- Sleep restores both your mind and body
- Regulate your sleep - go bed at the same time each night and practice good habits to improve your sleep quality
- Allow your body and mind to shut down and relax an hour before bed (reduce lights, electronics, noise, etc.)
- Trouble falling or staying asleep? Try mindfulness/guided meditation apps, white noise/sleep music, make a to do list and empty your mind
- Allow yourself some unfocussed time each day to refresh
- This is so important - don't let work bleed into your personal/family time
- Turn off your phone notifications or leave your phone in your office after hours - set limits
- Track your hours worked each day and week - know when to scale back
Finding this balance is key to your mental, emotional and physical health and it will also increase your productivity. Whether you continue to work from home or head back into the office, keep these simple tips in mind each day. Make your health and wellness a priority. You’re worth it!
If you need help getting back on track and into a good routine, whether you're at home or in the office, check out Thrive's Online Nutrition & Lifestyle Programs!