The Little Facts of River Edge’s Past (More than just the big events of history)
Journeys into River Edge
When talking about River Edge as a place a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing. There is the story of the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895. And, then there is the old, quaint and preserved River Edge station and important historically significant places such as the River Edge Hotel.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
Well, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:
For example, here’s a little of some of River Edge’s “little history”:
- Ordinance No. 1 after becoming a Borough: Prohibiting farm animals from being pastured on borough roads (1894)
- The first drainage problems in borough history were reported in the Council minutes (1896)
- The first telephone poles for electricity were erected by Hackensack Electric & Gas (1898)
- First electric street lights installed (1900)
- First sidewalks installed on Riverside Avenue (Kinderkamack Road)(1901)
- Ordinance regulates speed of autos and locomobiles (1902)
- Railroad depot at River Edge rebuilt (after 1900 fire)
- First November elections held (1905) – previously held in March
More “little history” to come in future postings.
Photo Info: Kinderkamack Road in the 1890's - though at the time it was known as Riverview Avenue, Riverside Avenue or "the Road to River Edge" - Photo courtesy of The Story of River Edge, 1693-1964, by Sigmund H. Umanski, Hauser Printing Company, 1964
Historical Info source: Musket Anchior & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976