Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service

4.4
Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service

Journeys into River Edge

It’s been a while since we’ve spoken about River Edge Local Heroes

But as recent events (flooding) and anniversary observances (9-11) have captured our attention as a community, we add our voice to those pay homage to our daily local heroes: our first responders.

Be they our police officers, fire department ambulance corps, DPW and a number of others, they serve us 24-7 in ways big and small – in times and places that we are sheltered; from the weather and from the harsh and at times unsavory but necessary work that needs to be done. They are out there for all of us, putting themselves on the line. We thank them.

Service to the community has long been important locally. Here are some important moments in our history:

- Volunteer Fire Department was organized August, 1900

- First Volunteer Fundraising for Fire Department (1903)

- Fire Company No 2 in the South End of Town organized (1904)

- First Fire House (combined with Borough Hall) was built at Kinderkamack Road at Lincoln Avenue (1906)

- Burglaries created a demand for police protection; 26 volunteers to police the borough were appointed special marshals (1924)

- Automobile Authorized for Police Department (1924)

- Child rescued from an abandoned cistern by W. R. Westervelt, fireman and school principal (1925)

- First space for police set aside at the Citizens Association Hall in North Hackensack (1925)

- Harry D. Johlman appointed first paid policeman (1927)

- First fire automobile purchased (1927)

- Police Benevolent Association formed (1928)

- Paid Police Dept. Established (1930)

- Ladies Auxiliary of Fire Dept. organized (1935)

- Fire Dept. Auxiliary Squad organized (1942)

- Police Reserves organized as self-defense unit during World War II (1942-1945)

- Dept. Of Public Works organized (1943)

- Municipal garbage collection begins (1943)

- Ambulance Corps established (1949)

- Property purchased at Tenney Avenue & Kinderkamack for the firehouse (1952)

- Ambulance Corps building on Continental Avenue completed (1954)

Sources: The History of River Edge, 1693-1964, by Sigmund H. Uminski, 1965, Hauser Printing Company; Musket, Anchor and Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976

Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service Our River Edge First Responders - A History of Service