More Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 12

4.7
More Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 12

Journeys into River Edge

In recent weeks, we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.

As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing; the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.

But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time, but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.

So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:

In our prior postings of “little histories” we have covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1954. This time we pick up from there and continue to focus on a period that many believe laid the foundation for many aspects and institutions of modern day life in town:

- River Dell Regional School district established; First meeting of River Dell Regional Board of Education (1955)

- Property on Elm facing Tenney reserved for new library (1956)

- Voters approve of construction of Hollie M. Davis School at intersection of Eastbrook Drive & Coles Court (1956)

- River Dell Junior High School opens (1956)

- Borough Seal adopted (1957)

- Hollie M. Davis School opens (1957)

- River Dell Senior High School opens (1957)

- Webb Avenue tennis courts open (1957)

- Cherry Hill Reformed Church new building is completed at corner of Bogert & Howland (1957)

More “little history” to come in future postings.

In the meantime, if you missed the previous installments (1894-1954) you can find them here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey

Photo acknowledgment and credit: Hollie M. Davis School – The History of River Edge, 1693-1964, by Sigmund H. Uminski, 1965, Hauser Printing Company

Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976