Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 8 ("Right After the War")

4.2
 Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 8 ("Right After the War")

Journeys into River Edge

In recent weeks, we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.

As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing; the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.

But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time, but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.

So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:

In our prior postings of “little histories” we have covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1945. This time we pick up from there and focus on the period immediately following the end of World War II:

- Rotary Club chartered (1946)

- Hunting & trapping prohibited (1946)

- Taxi cabs licensed (1947)

- 75 foot minimum frontage for building plots adopted (1947)

- Voters approve construction of Cherry Hill School (1947)

- American Legion organized (1947)

- American Legion Building constructed (1947)

- Zoning changed to permit garden apartments (1947)

More “little history” to come in future postings.

In the meantime, if you missed the previous installments (1894-1945) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey

 Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 8 ("Right After the War")

Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976