Little Facts of River Edge’s Past - Part 6
Journeys into River Edge
In recent weeks, we have been posting installments of what we are calling “little histories” of River Edge.
As previously mentioned, when talking about River Edge as a place, a lot is about its history – its big history – things like the Revolutionary War and “the Bridge that Saved the Nation” down at New Bridge Landing, the coming of the railroad and the devastating tornado of 1895; as well as the preserved River Edge station and the little known but historically significant River Edge Hotel which still stands.
But there is also little history. By that we mean, little things that occurred that were important at the time but are now mainly overlooked and forgotten.
So, we want to share some of these little history events – after all, history does not live by big events alone:
In our prior four postings of “little histories” we have covered the period from the inception of the borough in 1894 until 1938. This time we pick up from there and focus on the period following the opening of Route 4 and immediately before the entry of the U.S. into World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor at the end of 1941:
- Route 4 opens (1938)
- Concrete stands built at Roosevelt as a W.P.A. project (1939)
- Property (Howell) purchased for Borough Hall (1940)
- Sanitary Code adopted (1940)
- New firehouse built for Company No. 2 (1940)
- School No. 2 building demolished (1940)
- New Borough Hall opens (1941)
- Public library moved from Roosevelt to Borough Hall (1941)
- Mayor & Council serve as local rationing board (1941)
More “little history” to come in future postings.
In the meantime, if you missed the previous installments (1894-1931) you can find it here at our “Journeys into River Edge” features page, along with an archiving of other articles we have posted here at This is River Edge and elsewhere: https://www.klusster.com/klussters/journeys-into-river-edge-new-jersey
For now, best wishes for a happy and healthy 2022.
Photo acknowledgment and credit: River Edge Public Library- Interior view when it was located in the Municipal Building (1941-1961); Source: The History of River Edge, 1693-1964, by Sigmund H. Uminski, Hauser Printing Co., 1965.
Historical Info. source: Musket Anchor & Plow, The Story of River Edge, by Naomi & George Howitt, Arno Press, 1976