A River Edge Zoning Map, circa 1943 – A Closer Look – Part 3 – The Northern Part

A River Edge Zoning Map, circa 1943 – A Closer Look – Part 3 – The Northern Part

Journeys into River Edge

Over the past few weeks we have been sharing a Zoning Map of the Borough of River Edge, which accompanied the Zoning Ordinance of 1943.

So far we have taken a closer look of the map of the south and middle parts of town to compare River Edge then and now.

This time we continue to move northward to look together. As we stopped at the south side of Continental last time, this time we go north from there:

Of all three sections, the map of this part of town is probably the most recognizable to those calling River Edge home today.

But there are changes worth noting.

For example, Fifth Avenue stopped at that time stopped at Continental (it would pick up again just past Manning). For the most part, it was limited to the north – the section between Continental and Midland. By the way, north of Midland the part of Fifth which now leads to the High School (which would not be built until the late 1950’s) was not called Fifth back then. Its name was Walnut Avenue – reflecting its place in this midst of a development north of Midland that included other tree named streets (Poplar, Laurel, Magnolia, Myrtle, and Willow).

Fifth Avenue was part of a numerical street grid. Of course, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Avenues still exist today. But back then there were also Third and Fourth Avenues listed. Third was listed as being two blocks long (Continental- Wales). It would lose most of its length for what would become Memorial Park – leaving about a quarter of a block – today the northern entrance to Memorial.

Fourth Avenue disappeared when a Mayor living on the block spearheaded a movement to have the street renamed. Today what used to be Fourth Avenue is part of Millbrook Road.

To the east, along the train tracks and just off Center Avenue, were listed streets such as Elm Place, Maple Place and River Street and Railroad Avenue (A River Edge portion to be contrasted from a North Hackensack to Hackensack portion of Railroad Avenue, never built). And then, there was a dead end street to the west of Center labeled as Elkins Street. If that name is not familiar, it is not surprising. That street was never built.

Source: Zoning Ordinance and Building Code of the Borough of River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey -Issued December 31, 1943