A River Edge Zoning Map, circa 1943 – A Closer Look – Part 2 – The Middle Part o
Journeys into River Edge
Over the past few weeks we have been sharing a Zoning Map of the Borough of River Edge, which accompanied the Zoning Ordinance of 1943.
Last time we took a closer look at the map of the south end of town at that time to compare River Edge then and now.
This time we to move to the north to look together at the map again. As we stopped at Howland last time, this time we move north from there:
That map contains the Roosevelt School, but makes no mention of Cherry Hill as that school would not be built for another 5 years (1948). Similarly, the Cherry Hill Reformed Church had not yet been built at the corner of Howland and Bogert. At that time it was still at its long time location at the corner of Main and Elizabeth Streets.
Oak Avenue was much more limited than the present day route. It was not on the map south of much past Kensington (It did not connect with Wayne and was not even marked south of there – towards Irene Court, Olympia Court and Howland). To the north of Kensington Oak was marked as a street but as we know that street remained on paper only and became what is now known as “the Paper Path” that runs through Brookside Park. Even back then Oak did was not slated to run through to Continental. On the map it stopped just past Adams, to resume again north of Continental by Roosevelt.
Similarly, Elm Avenue was listed only sporadically on this map. Today Elm ends at Wayne. On this map it ends just past Kensington, and that stretch is for slightly more than two blocks (just past Manning). It picked up again just past Monroe, perhaps reflected the different developers responsible for building homes on those projects. Perhaps some old timer has more info to share on when and how Elm was connected.
Those developments – the Capes on Monroe and the Reis Colonials on streets such Voorhis and Manning were mapped as dead end streets. Fifth Avenue did not exist on this map in the center part of town except for an approximately two block stretch between Kensington and Manning.
St. Peter’s would not be built for another few years and is not listed on this map.
Like Elm and Oak, Fifth Avenue was chopped up into sections. It did not exist to between Kensington and Howland to the south or from Manning to Continental to the north. Monroe, Madison, Jefferson, and Adams did not stretch up the hill. They ended just past Elm.
There was no Millbrook Drive. Nor was there a Kimberly Way or Westview Court.
There were no tennis courts – the library would not one built until the early 1960’s. The recently demolished American Legion Hall had not been built either. Same for the Ambulance Corps building. There was no Memorial Park.
Farther to the east, the map listed Clarendon Court. Van Buren Avenue was there too. But it also had Jackson Avenue connecting to Kinderkamack, which never happened.
And in the area where the Swim Club, KBG and the DPW now call home was a spot labeled “Sewage Disposal Works”. So much for the good old days.
Source: Zoning Ordinance and Building Code of the Borough of River Edge, Bergen County, New Jersey -Issued December 31, 1943