When they moved the business district
Journeys into Maywood
One of Maywood’s most appealing aspects is its business center along West Pleasant Avenue.
But it was not always that way. In fact, the original business district was to the east
According to one of Maywood’s histories, the original business district was to be found on Elm Street between West Passaic Street and Park Avenue.
The arrival of trolley service (between Hackensack and Paterson) down the center of Pleasant Avenue prompted businesses to relocate to Pleasant which led to the business district we know today.
The trolley service ended in 1938 – its departure allowed for the development of the tree lined island in the middle of the avenue (The bus service that replaced the trolley ran on Passaic Street – Public Services # 1 line)
Source Materials Acknowledgement: Maywood – The Borough, The Railroad, and The Station, by Edward S. Kaminski, Acadia Publishing, 2010
Photo Ackneowdgement: Maywood - A Town for All Seasons Celebrates Its First One Hundred Years (Maywood Centennial Journal), 1994, Published by The Centennial Celebration Committee