Uniquely Maywood

4.4
105
Uniquely Maywood

Journeys into Maywood

Things and facts only to be found in Maywood:

- Maywood was at first known as West Hackensack

- Maywood’s first Police Headquarters was located in the street – literally – in a kiosk in the middle of the intersection of Maywood Avenue and Passaic Street. Installed in 1925, it lasted less than a year before it was toppled by a fire truck. It was soon relocated to safer quarters

- Maywood’s patrol force (marshals) did not have “wheels” to pursue would be criminals until 1925 when they received bicycles.

- Maywood’s Motta: “Great Oaks from Little Acorns Grow”

- The Maywood Song: “Maywood Cadet March” written in 1914 by A.F. Kennedy

- Maywood’s first telephone was installed in 1894 – it remained the only one until 17 others were installed in 1904

- A brother of Mark Twain – part of the Clemens family – Lived on East Magnolia Avenue around 1920

- “Celebrity Time in Maywood” (Centennial Publication) – June 12, 1942 – A large crowd welcomed the likes of Joe Louis, Ed Sullivan and Bob Hope, who came to town to boost World War II bonds efforts.

Uniquely Maywood

Source of Information: Maywood Centennial Journal, 1994, Published by the Centennial Celebration Committee

Photo Info & Credit: 1942 Visit to Maywood by Joe Louis, Ed Sullivan & Bob Hope to help sell War Bonds - Maywood Centennial Journal, 1994, Published by the Centennial Celebration Committee