A Short History of Some Street Names in Hackensack

5.0
109
 A Short History of Some Street Names in Hackensack

Journeys into Hackensack

Just as the new constructions around town are replacing longstanding structures, so too have the names of Hackensack streets been fluid.

Thanks to a wonderful history by George Mercer Scudder of Hackensack, we learn that the streets we consider mainstays of Hackensack once had different names.

For example, in the village of Hackensack, Front Street was the road now called Main Street. Similarly, Back Street was the name for the route now State Street. Other important thoroughfares were Lower Road (Essex Street) and Kings Road (Passaic Street).

According to that history the change of streets occurred about 1856, as did the addition of other cross streets named after N.J. counties that we have come to accept as integral to Hackensack: Salem, Camden, Mercer, Bergen, and Morris.

 A Short History of Some Street Names in Hackensack

Info. Source: http://www.hackensacknow.com/HistoricFactsb.pdf

Photo credit: alpsroads.com