Uniquely Ellicott City
Journeys into Ellicott City
Historically, events, and things that made (make) Ellicott City unique:
- Site one of the largest milling operations in the colonies
- The National Road was started here
- The first railroad terminal was established here in 1830
- One of the first academic institutions in the country solely for women, the Patapsco Female Institute, was opened in this town in 1837.
- Civil War prisoners were confined here, and the war dead from Gettysburg and Antietam were transported through town by rail on their way to their final destination.
- Babe Ruth was married at St. Paul's Catholic Church in 1914.
- Access to rivers was an asset but also a liability when ravaged by floods
More on these and other topics in future postings
Image credit: visit Howard County