Memorial Hospital Builds on its Heritage as it Looks Ahead
A Journey into Cambridge
They're in the midst of a major expansion project at Cambridge Memorial .
When it's all done it looks to be quite an impressive complex - and a very different place than when it all started back in 1888, when the region’s first community hospital, known as Galt Hospital, opened its doors to treat patients in a localized health care setting.
Sixty-five years later, in 1953, a facility was built in its present location which was better suited to serve the major communities of Galt, Hespeler, Preston and the Township of North Dumfries. The hospital was named South Waterloo Memorial Hospital, in honour of those who gave their lives for the community and country. As local boundaries changed and communities merged to become the City of Cambridge, the hospital adopted the new name of Cambridge Memorial Hospital. The last major expansion of the hospital was in the early 1970's when the existing B Wing inpatient tower was built.
To show how the place has grown, this past week Cambridge Memorial Hospital Foundation launched its 28th annual Trees of Caring fundraising campaign.
This year’s appeal is dedicated to funding equipment for the hospital’s expansion and transformation. Its goal is $265,000, which would provide enough money to fully equip and furnish one of the new intensive care patient rooms.
Funds raised through Trees of Caring go toward the purchase of hospital equipment, from beds and wheelchairs to life-saving technology, such as heart monitors and diagnostic imaging machines, said Sue Lockett, foundation director of development.
Donations can be made anytime at the foundation’s website www.cmhfoundation.ca. You can also pay at the CMH Foundation Office (700 Coronation Blvd.) or call 519-740-4966.